Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Advice

Hi I'm wanting to move all my content/settings from a late 2015 iMac to an M1 iMac.

Naturally I'm thinking Migration Assistant, but various concerns have flagged up as I clarify the procedure..

Apple appears to say just plonk the two computers connected to wifi near each other, initiate MA on both, and wait possibly quite a long time for the Migration to complete. Fair enough.

Counter that with pretty much every discussion I read advising absolutely not, never Migrate with wifi. So am I to understand the normal apple advised procedure is rubbish?

So I get to thinking cables which would mean me paying like £70 quid for a thunderbolt 2 cable and adapter for the M1, neither of which I'll have much use for post migration.

I also hear MA is confusing with regards to actually choosing alternatives to wifi for migrating.

Finally I know time machine is an option but I'd rather not use this method, as there have been some discrepancies in my backups when I've looked closely into backed up folders within time machine itself (I'll be using a new backup drive with the M1).

Basically I just want to safely move from one mac to another and I'm now a bit bewildered by the advice and comments in other forums etc.

Just seeking some clear and solid advice.

Thanks.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 11:35 AM

SiJG wrote:
Apple appears to say just plonk the two computers connected to wifi near each other, initiate MA on both, and wait possibly quite a long time for the Migration to complete. Fair enough.
Counter that with pretty much every discussion I read advising absolutely not, never Migrate with wifi. So am I to understand the normal apple advised procedure is rubbish?

I can only address this aspect of your post, but I recently helped a friend migrate from an old MacBook Pro to a new MacBook Pro. I was also concerned with the negative comments regarding a Wi-Fi transfer, but since there was no TimeMachine backup, and cables were not available, I took a chance with Wi-Fi.

Using the steps outlined in Move content to a new Mac, I was pleasantly surprised with the procedure which was accomplished flawlessly with a two hour timeframe.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2022 11:35 AM in response to SiJG

SiJG wrote:

I can only address this aspect of your post, but I recently helped a friend migrate from an old MacBook Pro to a new MacBook Pro. I was also concerned with the negative comments regarding a Wi-Fi transfer, but since there was no TimeMachine backup, and cables were not available, I took a chance with Wi-Fi.

Using the steps outlined in Move content to a new Mac, I was pleasantly surprised with the procedure which was accomplished flawlessly with a two hour timeframe.

Migration Advice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.