Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfering an app's data to a new Apple ID.

Hello,

Recently I've switched my iPhone to a new Apple ID. I've transferred all my iCloud data successfully;

however, I ran into a problem when trying to update apps on my iPhone. The app store won’t let me do it, and demands I log in into my old Apple ID.

I’ve looked online for solutions to this problem, yet it seems like the apps I downloaded with the old ID are tied to it, and unable to be unhooked. Meaning, I have to reinstall the apps to be able to fully use them again. This is a problem, as one of the apps on my iPhone has a lot of important data to me, all stored locally on my iPhone. I can’t afford to loose that data.

Is it possible at all to move/transfer apps from an old Apple ID (the app didn’t use any of Apple’s services) to a new one? Or failing that, is it possible to export and manually backup an app’s data so that I can put it back later after reinstalling it?

Thank You for the help.

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 5:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 5:43 AM

You were specific enough.

Your purchases will forever be connected to the old Apple ID. You can move things like photos, notes, email, etc with some work. But App Store purchases, music, movies, etc. would need to be purchased again.

It's far better to change your Apple ID, not create a new one, as all of your data moves with you.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2022 5:43 AM in response to Kuba0040

You were specific enough.

Your purchases will forever be connected to the old Apple ID. You can move things like photos, notes, email, etc with some work. But App Store purchases, music, movies, etc. would need to be purchased again.

It's far better to change your Apple ID, not create a new one, as all of your data moves with you.

Transfering an app's data to a new Apple ID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.