Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Game Center Login Issue

I have been playing Asphalt 8+ on Apple Arcade and want to take part in the online challenges, when clicking on any of them in the game, it tells me to "go to Settings -> Internet Accounts -> and follow the onscreen instructions", so I do that and I'm greeted with this:

For the life of me, I have no idea what to do to fix this, and it's stopping me from experiencing the online features of Apple Arcade games. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 17, 2022 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 8:22 AM

Hello again Eric.

It turns out that the cause of the problem was my account name and home directory were not in sync with each other, hence my aforementioned connectivity issues with Game Center (and funnily enough only Game Center, as I had not seen it affecting any of the other functionalities of my MacBook.

Thank you so much for your help Eric, I am incredibly sorry for having wasted your time :-(

Do have a lovely day!

Best wishes,

William

P.S. For those seeking the help to do what I did to fix my problem, here is the link to Apple's page on how to safely Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2022 8:22 AM in response to Eric Root

Hello again Eric.

It turns out that the cause of the problem was my account name and home directory were not in sync with each other, hence my aforementioned connectivity issues with Game Center (and funnily enough only Game Center, as I had not seen it affecting any of the other functionalities of my MacBook.

Thank you so much for your help Eric, I am incredibly sorry for having wasted your time :-(

Do have a lovely day!

Best wishes,

William

P.S. For those seeking the help to do what I did to fix my problem, here is the link to Apple's page on how to safely Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support.

Apr 20, 2022 5:26 PM in response to Gena_D

Hi Gena.

To start off, we advise that you restart your Mac (Shut down or restart your Mac) and make sure it's fully updated (Update macOS on Mac). Once those are done, please test this issue.

I chose not to do this since I didn't think it would solve anything, especially since my Mac is updated to the latest macOS Monterey 12.3.1.

If the issue persists, continue by testing to see when this behavior occurs. First, put your Mac into safe mode and test. Booting into safe mode will disable any startup and login items from automatically opening, which can help us to isolate the source of the issue further. When you do this, you’ll see some unusual behavior from the display; this is to be expected. Please follow the steps in this article: How to use safe mode on your Mac. 

This sadly didn't fix anything.

Next, let's see if this behavior persists in a second user account on your Mac. Please follow these steps to make a test account that can be deleted later: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

I made a test account and logged in with my Apple ID and this fixed the problem! But I don't know what's causing the issue on my main user account :/

May I somehow isolate the cause?

Thank you for your help Gena.

Apr 18, 2022 9:28 AM in response to Ozihilator

Hello, Ozihilator.

To start off, we advise that you restart your Mac (Shut down or restart your Mac) and make sure it's fully updated (Update macOS on Mac). Once those are done, please test this issue.

If the issue persists, continue by testing to see when this behavior occurs. First, put your Mac into safe mode and test. Booting into safe mode will disable any startup and login items from automatically opening, which can help us to isolate the source of the issue further. When you do this, you’ll see some unusual behavior from the display; this is to be expected. Please follow the steps in this article: How to use safe mode on your Mac. 

Next, let's see if this behavior persists in a second user account on your Mac. Please follow these steps to make a test account that can be deleted later: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

Let us know how this goes, please. Thanks and have a fabulous day!

Apr 21, 2022 6:12 PM in response to Eric Root

Hey again Eric.

Long story short I managed to delete both of those files (and please don't worry, I'm not going to go around deleting things willy nilly, haha), but sadly it did not fix the the Game Center "helper application" or "server connection" issues. I'm may be inclined to think from the "gamecenterfoundation" my diagnostics report was talking about, that it may be something to do with my actual Game Center account/profile? If not, I still have no idea.

I have attached my second EtreCheckPro diagnostics report to detail the fact that I've removed/deleted the (Disk Drill) "cleverfiles" and the (Valve [Steam]) "steamclean" files.

Apr 20, 2022 6:23 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi! Sorry I'm too tired to type out a full reply right now, I'll get back to you soon with a full reply regarding your help. I'm also sorry for posting the image with my email in it, thank you for quickly removing it! I censored my email that was shown first but forgot about the second one on the blue button in the image.

I've re-edited the image now so that my email being shown a second time is hidden, it's attached below.

Thank you for your help so far Eric.

Apr 20, 2022 6:08 PM in response to Gena_D

I also thought it might be helpful to say that this happens to me every time I play an Apple Arcade game.

Please note that I've never played a general App Store game on a MacBook before (in contrast to one that's part of the Arcade subscription).

Thank you again for your help Gena.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Apr 20, 2022 6:10 PM in response to Ozihilator

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

https://etrecheck.com

Apr 21, 2022 6:32 PM in response to Eric Root

Sorry I attached an older report by mistake and then replaced it through the "edit" option in that post (I'm assuming) while you were replying to the post with the old attachment. Please see the new attached report in the same post (I apologise for the fact that there are "Â"s everywhere, I don't know why that happened, all I did was copy and paste my report.

Apr 22, 2022 6:48 AM in response to Eric Root

Yep, solved absolutely nothing :/ Sorry Eric. I’m at a loss here, I considered signing out of iCloud, but when I had gone to do that in the past it told me that my data would be either erased or moved somewhere else and that worried me, I also thought about somehow moving all of my files to a new user account, but I’m really not sure.

Game Center Login Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.