Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8062)

Hi everyone, I've got an issue: why when I'm trying to copy a folder from my Mac to a USB drive this message shows up "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8062)"? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 7:09 AM

There are several reasons for an inability to copy folders to an external storage device. The storage device may be full, or it may not be formatted properly, or its hardware may not be compatible with the Mac. It is possible the source contents may be corrupted or unreadable, though I doubt that's the case. You might try "repairing" the source and destination volumes as described in Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

For reference, Connect and use other storage devices with Mac - Apple Support describes how to use external storage devices, in broad terms. For formatting instructions read Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

The specific meaning of those error codes is not publicly documented.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2022 7:09 AM in response to EmanueleTB1990

There are several reasons for an inability to copy folders to an external storage device. The storage device may be full, or it may not be formatted properly, or its hardware may not be compatible with the Mac. It is possible the source contents may be corrupted or unreadable, though I doubt that's the case. You might try "repairing" the source and destination volumes as described in Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

For reference, Connect and use other storage devices with Mac - Apple Support describes how to use external storage devices, in broad terms. For formatting instructions read Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

The specific meaning of those error codes is not publicly documented.

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8062)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.