Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ICloud upload speed throtling?

Hi, I have an issue where I take photos on a Nikon D850 maybe 2,000 photos on a shoot I import to Lightroom, the upload to iCloud starts it does the first 60gb within 30minutes.. but then practically stops…I have super fast 1gbps/110mbps download/upload.. it is now uploading 1 photo every 10 minutes. If I upload to my Idrive each photo (46mb each) takes <1 sec. This is making life a pain as it will take days to complete. Any ideas as to how to speed up the process? Cheers Antony

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 3:33 AM

2 replies

Apr 18, 2022 1:44 PM in response to LotusPilot

Yes in answer to the question…my ISP does guarantee my upload speed (business broadband) but you are correct that other factors are in play…maybe Apple should allow multiple streams concurrently…but it’s still odd that the upload speed changes from 1 photo every 2 secs or less to 1 photo in 10 mins…that’s 300 times slower.

Apr 18, 2022 3:47 AM in response to AntXXG

Presumably you are not importing your photos directly to your iPad Photo Library - and allowing the iPad to synchronise your Library to iCloud in the background.

While you may have a very fast internet connection, you have no influence over the routing of your traffic - or the regional server resource to which you may connect. These factors may significantly impact transfer performance - either upload or download. Your overall network path will likely be contended (i.e., shared) with many other users - and your data may indeed be throttled. A fast internet connection to your ISP provides absolutely no guarantee that you will be able to sustain peak-throughput over an extended period.

Regardless of your internet connection speed, you may find that uploading your photos in smaller batches may be more efficient.

ICloud upload speed throtling?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.