Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which documents on my Mac actually get mirrored to iCloud?

Does every document I want to save to iCloud need to live either on my Desktop (top level) or in the Documents folder? Can I sync other folders to iCloud? Thanks for any advice!

iMac 24″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 6:12 PM

If you only turn on Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud Drive then only files/folders that you save to the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac will sync with iCloud. You access the iCloud Drive folder via the Finder sidebar or the Finder "Go" menu.

If you also turn on the Desktop and Documents option, then files/folders in those locations will also sync with iCloud.

Finally, if you turn on Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > Optimize Mac Storage then if your Mac is low on storage space some of the synced files may not have a local copy on your Mac.

See the following:

Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2022 6:12 PM in response to vienna_woods

If you only turn on Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud Drive then only files/folders that you save to the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac will sync with iCloud. You access the iCloud Drive folder via the Finder sidebar or the Finder "Go" menu.

If you also turn on the Desktop and Documents option, then files/folders in those locations will also sync with iCloud.

Finally, if you turn on Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > Optimize Mac Storage then if your Mac is low on storage space some of the synced files may not have a local copy on your Mac.

See the following:

Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Which documents on my Mac actually get mirrored to iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.