Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Revive/Restore Macbook Air M1

I'm trying to revive or restore a Macbook Air M1 using a second Macbook Air M1. I connect both of them as described using the usb c charging cable that comes with in the box. I press the keys in the specific order and see the DFU mode in the working Macbook. I select the option to revive and in Step 4: Installing system, the Apple Configurator gives error 9 (screenshot attached).

I have tried about ten times now and have even changed usb c cable and double checked the connections but everything on the hardware side seems fine. The error clearly states that it might be the usb cable is unplugged but I dont think thats the case. Please help!

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 7:08 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Apr 19, 2022 12:38 AM in response to aqib355

What do you mean by "Revive/Restore"? What's the problem prompting you to do this?

If you goal is to reinstall the OS, there are more direct, and simpler means, of doing that and you don't need a second Mac. You may need a good backup (you always do of course) if you wipe and reinstall, but reinstallation from the Recovery panel (Command + R) does not touch personal data, installed apps or user settings.

Recover panel takes about 40 minutes and once started it will do its thing and return you to the login screen.

Of course M1 Macs are a bit different: https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/74502-boot-an-m1-mac-into-recovery-mode/

Apr 19, 2022 6:03 AM in response to KiltedTim

Can you elaborate more? I mean my Macbook was just sitting home and I woke up, tried to boot it and the exclamation mark and circle appeared when it was working fine last night. Didn’t drop it or anything. No bumps.

Even if its a hardware issue, that’s on Apple right? If I’m using the product carefully and it happens, that means its a manufacturing defect.

whats your story?

Revive/Restore Macbook Air M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.