Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV as music source without a display?

Can I (how can I) use an Apple TV box as a music source for my home stereo without a display?

I want to use my iPhone as a remote control and have the Apple TV box play lossless audio content from my Apple Music account, including streaming and ripped tracks that Apple Music doesn’t carry. (I plan to use an HDMI audio extractor/DAC to connect the HDMI output to my stereo preamp.)

• I want the music to stream from the box, not my phone. (I currently stream via my phone and use Airplay to send the audio to an Airport Express. It does not work well—it slows the phone, drains the battery, and requires that I remain in range of WiFi.)
  • I want to control the Apple TV’s Music app from my phone in a convenient way, ideally even from the lock screen for basic play/pause/next track functions. Unlocked, I want full control from the phone—navigating through playlists etc., not just play/pause.

Will this work? What issues should I consider?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 8:25 AM

Ikrupp, that is incorrect. You can control any Apple tv that supports Apple Music from an iPhone without a display on the Apple tv itself. This is exactly the same as controlling a HomePod.

use the “control other devices” menu from the airplay options while playing music - or before plying. You can also issue Siri commands such as “move to Apple TV” to have music from any room or HomePod moved over to the Apple TV.

the Apple TV will play the music natively and all without any display.

Apple TV is the only device available that can be used to play Apple Music natively and controlled from other devices headless the same way as a HomePod.

airport express, which is often recommended, is not a solution and doesn’t support this, as it can only act as an airplay target and can’t itself natively stream from apples servers.

I wish Apple would release a pre-out HomePod of sorts. Apple Music streamer with hdmi and optical output. No video.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2022 8:25 AM in response to lkrupp

Ikrupp, that is incorrect. You can control any Apple tv that supports Apple Music from an iPhone without a display on the Apple tv itself. This is exactly the same as controlling a HomePod.

use the “control other devices” menu from the airplay options while playing music - or before plying. You can also issue Siri commands such as “move to Apple TV” to have music from any room or HomePod moved over to the Apple TV.

the Apple TV will play the music natively and all without any display.

Apple TV is the only device available that can be used to play Apple Music natively and controlled from other devices headless the same way as a HomePod.

airport express, which is often recommended, is not a solution and doesn’t support this, as it can only act as an airplay target and can’t itself natively stream from apples servers.

I wish Apple would release a pre-out HomePod of sorts. Apple Music streamer with hdmi and optical output. No video.

Apr 19, 2022 9:46 AM in response to Jeff_on_Apple

Did you ever update your AirPort Express firmware to the one from last year with AirPlay 2 support? If not, this update might make the streaming more efficient. Apart from your desire to control all things from your iPhone, why the "no display" requirement?

It seems your full exploitation of Apple Music, including the use of ripped tracks in a local library, would be best facilitated by an oldish macbook that can still handle Monterey with its' AirPlay 2 receiver function (possibly with a spiffy dac connected for hi-res support as well as lossless).

This would allow you to replace the AirPort Express as the connection to your preamp, allowing you to play Apple Music locally from the MacBook with remote control (pause / skip etc.) from your iPhone. If you want full selection DJ capability from your iPhone, that becomes an easy switch to AirPlay 2 while you're still in WiFi range.

Apr 19, 2022 2:12 PM in response to Jeff_on_Apple

Jeff_on_Apple wrote:
[...]
• I’d prefer to move to a wired connection, and a better one (ideally with balanced analog output), so a Mac with a DAC could do that. I wonder whether, in addition to the simple iPhone Remote app, I could do real screen-sharing to my phone in a usable way—probably not.

I also wondered about that... vnc or something. People do it. I also wondered if SharePlay could help get what you want, but I gather that involves two or more Apple IDs and Music accounts (I've never messed with it).

[...]
• Are there third-party streaming boxes that can do this? I’ve seen some that can stream Spotify or Pandora, but not Apple. And, with a third-party device, I’d want to make sure it could handle the ripped tracks I’ve synced to my Apple Music account.

While support for AirPlay 2 receiver functionality has become pretty widespread, I think you'll be limited to Apple devices plus others for which Apple offers the Music app (various Smart TVs, PlayStation 5, Windows and Android). I would expect the best functionality on a mac or iOS device.

Apr 19, 2022 11:46 AM in response to bgmeek

Thank you. That’s an idea to consider.

• No display: I don’t want a tv in my listening room.
  • The Airport Express is up-to-date, though I don’t know that they still support it.
  • I’d prefer to move to a wired connection, and a better one (ideally with balanced analog output), so a Mac with a DAC could do that. I wonder whether, in addition to the simple iPhone Remote app, I could do real screen-sharing to my phone in a usable way—probably not.
  • However, since I already have the Airport Express, one option would be to buy an iPod touch and a wired DAC. I could use the iPod itself wirelessly from across the room or I could look into the accessibility/remote functionality that might be possible, and then use it with the DAC. It would be nice if the Remote app could control the simple audio controls on an iPod vs. just a Mac.
  • Macs are pretty stable, but I’d rather use something that’s not just solid-state but designed to be stable the way iOS is—sandboxed apps etc.
  • Are there third-party streaming boxes that can do this? I’ve seen some that can stream Spotify or Pandora, but not Apple. And, with a third-party device, I’d want to make sure it could handle the ripped tracks I’ve synced to my Apple Music account.

Apr 19, 2022 8:28 AM in response to Jeff_on_Apple

I had it working on the original appletv 1g which had RCA audio out

but people reported with the appletv2g that it would not init the optical output unless it started up being connected to a tv with the hdmi port so not really a viable solution, newer appletvs without optical output would likely fare worse even if connected to a receiver on it's way to the tv.

Apr 19, 2022 9:46 AM in response to lkrupp

Thank you. Any ideas on other hardware for this? It doesn’t have to be from Apple but I want it to handle Apple Music, including tracks I’ve ripped that Apple doesn’t carry.

I’ve never used this feature, but I think an iPhone can control another iOS device via accessibility. (I doubt that would be available on the lock screen in the control center.) Do you happen to know about this remote control? I also want to maintain good audio quality. I don’t know whether an iPod/iPad’s output is as high-quality. Someone else mentioned a HomePod; I’ve never used one but maybe that’s what I need.

Apr 19, 2022 3:20 PM in response to bgmeek

Yep, especially in a few years when Apple will add features in their software updates that dedicated streaming boxes might not be able to handle. Plus, the decent streaming boxes cost a lot more than an Apple TV 4K or iPod touch. I’d be willing to spend the money for something better, but I’d prefer to use Apple for the long-term support.

>>I would expect the best functionality on a mac or iOS device.

Apple TV as music source without a display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.