Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shutting down from Hello

When you erase contents and settings from a T2 Mac, it boots back into the Hello screen like a new computer. It does this automatically. I don't want to initialize the system and activate it, but I can't see any way to shut down. There's no menu bar of course. I can just force shut down, but that seems a clumsy way to do it, and I really don't like the frying noise the MacBook Pro makes when you do that. I wonder what it is actually frying.

Is there some keyboard shortcut that calls up shut down. I didn't try, but does ⌘ Esc do it?

Thanks very much.

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 9:56 AM

Hi Tom,

It seems you have concerns about forcing your Mac to shut down, and we can help.

Any sound you hear is going to be a result of the speakers being cut from power. There's nothing to be concerned about from forcing a shutdown.

Just take the steps here, that's all you can do:

Shut down or restart your Mac

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2022 9:56 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

It seems you have concerns about forcing your Mac to shut down, and we can help.

Any sound you hear is going to be a result of the speakers being cut from power. There's nothing to be concerned about from forcing a shutdown.

Just take the steps here, that's all you can do:

Shut down or restart your Mac

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Apr 20, 2022 10:10 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

When you erase contents and settings from a T2 Mac, it boots back into the Hello screen like a new computer. It does this automatically. I don't want to initialize the system and activate it, but I can't see any way to shut down. There's no menu bar of course. I can just force shut down, but that seems a clumsy way to do it, and I really don't like the frying noise the MacBook Pro makes when you do that. I wonder what it is actually frying.

Is there some keyboard shortcut that calls up shut down. I didn't try, but does ⌘ Esc do it?

Thanks very much.

What is the bigger picture Tom ... Are you selling the computer, trading it in(?)

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Shutting down from Hello

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.