Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch setup without an iPhone?

Hello, Can I purchase and set up an Apple Watch with Verizon Cellular without an iPhone to pair it to?

thanks,

Dave

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 4:27 PM

• Apple Watch needs an iPhone to setup
  • Apple Watch needs an iPhone to update software
  • Apple Watch needs an iPhone to send and receive SMS/MMS TEXT messages
  • There are other things the Apple Watch depends on the iPhone for.

If you are not an iPhone owner, or the child or aging parent of an iPhone user, you should consider a different smart watch manufacture.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2022 4:27 PM in response to dbrock6931

• Apple Watch needs an iPhone to setup
  • Apple Watch needs an iPhone to update software
  • Apple Watch needs an iPhone to send and receive SMS/MMS TEXT messages
  • There are other things the Apple Watch depends on the iPhone for.

If you are not an iPhone owner, or the child or aging parent of an iPhone user, you should consider a different smart watch manufacture.

Apr 19, 2022 4:59 PM in response to dbrock6931

The Apple Watch needs the iPhone to be powered on and able to access the internet, plus you need to be signed into iMessages on the iPhone. The Apple Watch will relay all SMS/MMS TEXTing to the iPhone.

The Apple Watch cellular radio is a data only radio and can only access the Internet side of the cellular company's business and does phone calls over VoIP. Not having a traditional cellular radio, it cannot access the cellular SMS/MMS TEXT messaging packets.

Use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

Read the the first footnote:

1. To receive SMS, MMS, or push notifications from third-party apps on your cellular Apple Watch, your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but it doesn't need to be nearby. You also need to be signed in to iMessage on your iPhone.

Rude is an opinion. I thought I was trying to provide facts, and save someone from buying an Apple Watch and being happy with their purchase if they did not own an iPhone. 😞

The family plan is most likely what the family you mention was using. Still need an iPhone, and the Apple Watch does have limitations, because it does not have its own iPhone paired to it:

Set up Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support

Apple extends the Apple Watch experience to the entire family - Apple

Apr 19, 2022 4:46 PM in response to BobHarris

LOL very rude. My cellular Apple Watch does SMS/MMS TEXT just fine but I've not tested the other items you mention because I have my 6th iPhone connected. it's not implausible it could do the other things using it's own WiFi and cellular connection to accomplish the other actions you mention.

I'm trying to settle an argument and get the correct answer. It sounds like you have anecdotes that lead to your position. I'll wait for others to weigh in.

Oh, and try to be nice.

Apple Watch setup without an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.