Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi automatically connecting on iMac when using ethernet

So I have my iMac connected to the network via Ethernet because, well, it’s not going anywhere so it may as well be. However, I also want to keep the Wi-Fi on my iMac turned on so I can use features such as AirDrop and unlocking with Apple Watch.

When I disconnect/forget the Wi-Fi on my iMac, it does the same on my MacBook, iPhone and iPad. Then when I reconnect all those devices, my iMac also reconnects. I’ve tried un-checking “Auto-join”, but again it relays the setting to all my devices. It’s a never-ending cycle of annoyance and chaos.

Before anyone suggests just turning off Wi-Fi, remember I want to use features on the iMac that require Wi-Fi, and I don’t want to be turning it on and off all the time just to unlock the computer.

Any other suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 8:02 PM

Try one other thing - in System Preferences > Network change the order of services to place Ethernet above Wi-Fi.

Edit: Originally I suggested to remove Wi-Fi entirely, but I realised this might instead disable Wi-Fi.

4 replies

Apr 26, 2022 3:30 AM in response to David McKinlay

I think this has done the trick! Sorry for the delay in response - I got a bit busy. But now trying, I think this may have worked.

I created a separate location called “Home” and remained connected to the wireless network, but instead just unchecked “Automatically join this network”.

I’m now running on Ethernet whilst Wi-Fi is turned on and not connected. I’ll keep you updated in case there’s any faults later on down the line

Wi-Fi automatically connecting on iMac when using ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.