Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hot, Gradient Screen, and Battery does not stay charged long

Greetings. One of our company iPads (Pro 10.5) began overheating while the estimator was using it. He then tells me that it gets so hot that he cannot hold it. The battery does not stay charged. It takes 24 hours to charge it to 100% unplug and in an hour it is dead.

Also, the screen is getting dimmed on the left side - if in portrait mode and the button on the bottom.

I am the tech guy so we have 40 ipads, laptops, and mac desktops so I have checked it and there is an issue with it. has nothing to do with room temp, location, or the lot. It is not operating properly.

But which one is the culprit. Is the battery causing the dimmed screen because it is overheating?

or are they two separate issues?

Then what are our options? I do not see that it says we have coverage. so what are costs to replace screen and new battery, and have it checked to see if anything else, compared to getting a brand new one?

• gerald

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 9:58 AM

Perform a forced-restart of the iPad - as doing so will often resolve an isolated software or overheating issue:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If the problem is unresolved, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess the iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Be aware that sustained elevated temperatures may have caused damage to the iPad battery.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2022 9:58 AM in response to ByersEnterprises

Perform a forced-restart of the iPad - as doing so will often resolve an isolated software or overheating issue:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If the problem is unresolved, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess the iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Be aware that sustained elevated temperatures may have caused damage to the iPad battery.

Apr 22, 2022 4:44 PM in response to ByersEnterprises

Within reach I have two iPad Pro 10.5 WiFi+Cellular 512GB. Both continue to operate - both with a known issue concerning screen diffuser delamination and deteriorating batteries. Otherwise, both are fully functional - and neither exhibit the issue that you describe.

As such, given that you have followed standard troubleshooting without improvement, you may just be unlucky and have an iPad with a hardware fault.

Is it worth spending money upon what is likely to be an out-of-warranty exchange - the cost of which will likely amount to Apple’s standard fee (c.60% of the as new cost of the iPad)? For me, I would instead invest the cash in a replacement iPad Pro.

LP

Apr 22, 2022 11:19 AM in response to LotusPilot

LoustPilot, thank you, for the reply. I did all the tricks and tools before i posted. (In IT and a long time computer geek, so I know the drill before you ask a question.)

I was trying to figure out if it is worth fixing or recycling and getting a new one.

There is nothing wrong with it visually. looks brand new...

I tried the support app before but it does not work as it does on the phone to analyze your device. just gives you support options.

The QUESTION IS: A New Screen: $$$ + New Battery: $$ + is there anything else wrong? + the time and $$ just to take it to someone and looked at it > getting a new one?

Which, i may have answered my question. Although looks are deceiving, it is 5 years old and well used. time to retire it.

LotusPilot, again, thank you for your options and reply. Much Appreciated.

• gerald

Hot, Gradient Screen, and Battery does not stay charged long

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.