Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone indicator (orange dot) in top right corner persists after app closed

I understand that the orange dot should light up next to the control center icon in the menu bar, when there is an app using the microphone (usually Zoom). This works fine on my system, shown below:

However, when I quit the relevant apps, the orange dot moves to the top right corner, and doesn't seem to go away, except after a full restart, like so:

Is this a bug with the indicator light, or does the orange light in the corner (instead of next to the control center) intentionally mean something different? Seems like a bug to me, but not sure if it is known, and want to make sure there isn't a hidden process using my microphone or something.

I am using a Macbook Pro 16" 2019 with the latest macOS Monterey 12.3.1

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 5:01 AM

I also noticed the orange dot, and I even disabled microphone access to some apps, but it is still there. However I see this:

1. When the dot is in the top right corner (not next to the control icon) ...
  2. Open Preferences -> Sound -> Input
  3. The dot jumps left of and now it's in the correct place, near the control
  4. Switch to another tab (like Output) or back out of the Sound page...
  5. And the dot moves again to the right corner

If this is not a bug, it's surely an undocumented and weird feature

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2022 5:01 AM in response to kenzheng99

I also noticed the orange dot, and I even disabled microphone access to some apps, but it is still there. However I see this:

1. When the dot is in the top right corner (not next to the control icon) ...
  2. Open Preferences -> Sound -> Input
  3. The dot jumps left of and now it's in the correct place, near the control
  4. Switch to another tab (like Output) or back out of the Sound page...
  5. And the dot moves again to the right corner

If this is not a bug, it's surely an undocumented and weird feature

May 2, 2022 5:16 AM in response to kenzheng99

I think this feature needs more thought.

I run Sonarworks Reference on my Mac; it's speaker calibration software. It runs all the time, and I already knew it needed access to the microphone. I trust the app and the developers. This means that the orange dot is there absolutely all the time, and therefore doesn't even alert me if an unknown app is sneakily accessing the mic.

Even if I didn't use Sonarworks, Reason (or any other music-production software) also has access to the microphone. I'm making music much of the time I'm on the Mac. Indeed Apple touts its systems as being designed for content creators, so the orange dot doesn't work for their very target audience.

So: it's a constant visual perturbance, and doesn't even do what it was designed to do.

Sep 6, 2022 9:43 PM in response to nameCantBeBl_nk

Also just found this command on a Reddit thread:

sudo killall coreaudiod

This killed the orange dot, one thing in this thread that did make sense - users are talking about having an external camera and/or mic if either has a companion app this causing the issue. I have an Elgato FaceCam and a Wave XLR. The CameraHub app from Elgato is always on so wondering if that isn't causing the issue.

Apr 20, 2022 5:03 PM in response to kenzheng99

FWIW, that doesn't happen on any of my Monterey installs. The dot shouldn't be moving to the right of the clock. I don't have an answer to why yours is doing that. If there was a "hidden process" the dot should show in its normal position to the right of the Control Center.

You could test while in Safe Mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 21, 2022 1:28 AM in response to kenzheng99

When the dot shows

Download and run this app so we can find more information about your installation.

https://etrecheck.com/upgrade

It shows what is launched and other information and is very useful in finding causes of problems. After you first launch the app make sure you check Enable full disk access in the box in lower left.

After running the app use the app's Share feature “Copy” that pastes to clipboard. Then paste it in the text box for a reply in this forum click on the addition text icon. This is because the normal reply text box limits how much you can type.

No personal identifiable information is contained if the app output. The app was written for a person who is contributor to these Apple Support Communities

Sep 6, 2022 9:34 PM in response to kenzheng99

For what it's worth I have this issue on two different M1 MacBook Airs (2020), one is work issued and one is a personal machine. I first noticed this on my personal MBA and got paranoid because I had installed an unofficial build of OBS, however it started happening on my work MBA which I did not install that software on. I think it's a bug and I had an hour or so long convo with a tier 3 Apple support rep and they hadn't seen it either - this was in the spring. My theory is it's either a macOS UI bug OR there is a process that isn't closing a mic or camera properly. A restart causes to go away and I think (but can't remember exactly) that there was a dot release recently where this didn't happen.

Sep 25, 2022 4:40 PM in response to dialabrain

I can confirm that I am having the same issue on my M1pro 14" MacBook Pro for many months now. I can reboot to clear the orange dot but after my next Zoom session the orange dot that was in the proper place during the call now shows up to the right of the clock. Rebooting will clear the dot. There was an update to Zoom a while back that fixed an issue with Zoom not releasing the microphone properly but that did not fix this rogue orange dot issue. I don't know if any other video conferencing software has the same effect. I'm on the latest versions of both Monterey and Zoom.

Microphone indicator (orange dot) in top right corner persists after app closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.