Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing unwanted apps

I cannot remove an item with Finder because it says that the app is open but there is no way to close it. I am sick of Skype asking me to update and I do not want the install OS Monterey on my computer.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 9:32 PM

Machater18 wrote:

Third party apps that you simply drag & drop into your Applications folder (or into an alias ) typically have no installer.

Follow the developer ref linked above.

Skype is a drag & drop..

Third party apps that have an official "installer" that you have to: click through, agree to, and require your psswd to install—typically have a build-in official "uninstaller."

Usually found in the >Preference pane, >About info, or the >Package Content folder.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2022 9:32 PM in response to Machater18

Machater18 wrote:

Third party apps that you simply drag & drop into your Applications folder (or into an alias ) typically have no installer.

Follow the developer ref linked above.

Skype is a drag & drop..

Third party apps that have an official "installer" that you have to: click through, agree to, and require your psswd to install—typically have a build-in official "uninstaller."

Usually found in the >Preference pane, >About info, or the >Package Content folder.

Apr 21, 2022 6:57 PM in response to Machater18

Machater18 wrote:

I cannot remove an item with Finder because it says that the app is open but there is no way to close it. I am sick of Skype...

—>Force Quit if necessary

—look in Activity Monitor.app search by name and click open the process>Quit or force quit

if in doubt search the developers search their website or contact: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Updates

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/all/completely-deleting-skype-and-reinstalling-skype/e9620b3b-6279-4386-9a90-524b62017b67

ref: Mac

1. First, you will need to quit Skype by control-clicking Skype, then selecting Quit Skype.
  2. Open your Applications folder and drag your copy of Skype to the trash.
  3. Open Finder and search for “Skype” using the search feature in Mac OS X. Move all the results returned to the trash.
  4. Control-click on the trash button and select Empty Trash.
  5. Restart your computer.

see

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10634/how-do-i-uninstall-and-reinstall-skype-on-desktop?q=Uninstall

Apr 21, 2022 8:34 PM in response to Machater18

Machater18 Said:

"Removing unwanted apps: I cannot remove an item with Finder because it says that the app is open but there is no way to close it. I am sick of Skype asking me to update and I do not want the install OS Monterey on my computer."

-------

Troubleshooting App Deletion Errors:

Reinstall the App, and then attempt another install. If you just drag-&-drop it into the trash, then it may become corrupt. Note that some applications (i.e. Security Software) require an Uninstaller to be used to successfully delete it in full. So, ask the Developer if this is needed.

Removing unwanted apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.