Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New item in 'screen time' I don't recognize

(new to smartphones& iPhone SE 3rd gen) I've been doing a lot of looking at/ trying things as I get familiar. Now looking at the 'screen time' info for the week I see that something called rusemb.org.uk used almost 19 hours on 2 days earlier this week!

I do not recognize it, and I did not connect to anything like that as far as I know. Maybe it has something to do with the news links I viewed? How can I safely investigate further? Is there something I should do to block it?

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 9:50 PM

BlueKatKLJ Said:

"New item in 'screen time' I don't recognize: Thanks for your ideas [...]Not knowing at that point that the links sometimes create a group of tabs, I basically left it open in the background on Safari for hours overnight and into the next day. It must have something on the page that kept refreshing the whole time.

I'm still not accustomed to the displays and layout. Uggh!"

-------

Your are welcome.

This might do the job then, if it is the layout that is getting in the way here.

Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2022 9:50 PM in response to BlueKatKLJ

BlueKatKLJ Said:

"New item in 'screen time' I don't recognize: Thanks for your ideas [...]Not knowing at that point that the links sometimes create a group of tabs, I basically left it open in the background on Safari for hours overnight and into the next day. It must have something on the page that kept refreshing the whole time.

I'm still not accustomed to the displays and layout. Uggh!"

-------

Your are welcome.

This might do the job then, if it is the layout that is getting in the way here.

Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Apr 21, 2022 8:50 PM in response to BlueKatKLJ

BlueKatKLJ Said:

"New item in 'screen time' I don't recognize: [...]I do not recognize it, and I did not connect to anything like that as far as I know. Maybe it has something to do with the news links I viewed? How can I safely investigate further? Is there something I should do to block it?"

-------

Secure your Account:

Having been suspiciously fiddled with, someone likley has your credentials. So, do three Things:

A. Verify Your Devices:

Verify that your the devices logged in to your account or officially yours, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

B. Consider Modifying your Credentials:

By all means, consider modifying your credentials, starting with a new password.

C. Change the Password and Passcode:

Apr 22, 2022 5:54 PM in response to BlueKatKLJ

BlueKatKLJ Said:

"New item in 'screen time' I don't recognize: [...]It 'seems' to be associated with the Russian embassy in the UK; has anyone else encountered it?"

-------

Thank you for your reply.

No. I have not come across this.

Restoring to Factory Settings:

If you wanted to, you could restore your iPhone to factory settings, as if you were to sell it. All would be erased, the phone number would reside, and you'd log in anew to everything. Perform as instructed here, including the backup: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Apr 22, 2022 3:44 PM in response to TheLittles

The only Apple device I have is my iPhone. I do use 2-factor ID, and I have not yet set up any payment method with the phone.

I have logged into this site, and my icloud mail, on a Chromebook using my (new) Apple ID and 2-factor verification. (I did still use 'don't trust this device', even though it is my secured Chromebook and my secured home wifi.) Mostly to use the larger screen and keyboard. But I was signed out of both when this unknown site racked up time on my phone?!?

It 'seems' to be associated with the Russian embassy in the UK; has anyone else encountered it?

Apr 22, 2022 9:34 PM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for your ideas!

I've been checking through everything carefully, and I don't _think_ I've been compromised. I'm so new to the device and everything, I'd just as soon not do a reset unless I thought I was.

I'm beginning to think that when I was looking through the 'news email' and getting acquainted with it, I may have clicked a link in one of the articles about Ukraine/ Putin/ etc. that tied to that site for a reference of some sort. Not knowing at that point that the links sometimes create a group of tabs, I basically left it open in the background on Safari for hours overnight and into the next day. It must have something on the page that kept refreshing the whole time.

I'm still not accustomed to the displays and layout. Uggh!

New item in 'screen time' I don't recognize

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.