Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to download Monterey if not available on site

Trying to upgrade my iMac (2017) currently running Carolina 10.15.7 to Monterey but can't seem to get the download anywhere including from settings for software updates, the App Store, and Apple Support Downloads resource site as well. Am I able to upgrade? (which I think I can), and if so, where can I get the download? If I am having these kinds of problems without even running an install I am worried. LOL

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 5:23 PM

some people have had issues trying to upgrade to monterey from any macOS prior to big sur. if it was me, i would try upgrading from catalina to big sur first and then on to monterey.

the download for big sur can be found here:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

you may also want to read these two pages first:

How to upgrade to Big Sur - User Tips

How to upgrade to Monterey - User Tips

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2022 5:23 PM in response to DoingMyBestalways

some people have had issues trying to upgrade to monterey from any macOS prior to big sur. if it was me, i would try upgrading from catalina to big sur first and then on to monterey.

the download for big sur can be found here:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

you may also want to read these two pages first:

How to upgrade to Big Sur - User Tips

How to upgrade to Monterey - User Tips

Apr 23, 2022 2:03 AM in response to DoingMyBestalways

Follow the advise from @ jeffreythefrog First and attempt the upgrade to Big Sur.

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

Notation: Disabling the AV Software may or may not solve the issue. Removal of the AV Software may increase the chances of the download to perform as expected.

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses or corruption of the download 

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

how to download Monterey if not available on site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.