Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud storage show 20G of messages

I have deleted most messages from both my devices yet icloud still shows 20G of messages. That seems too high. How can I free up that message storage or get it to properly update?

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 6:37 AM

Ok, I deleted nearly all the message threads from both my mac and iphone, waited a few days and indeed the icloud messages storage has dropped from 20G to 10G. But 10G still doesn't seem right for a handful of messages. I can't find a way via icloud to look at what is stored there. I can see individual photos, but not messages. Is there a way to see individual messages in icloud?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2022 6:37 AM in response to muguy

Ok, I deleted nearly all the message threads from both my mac and iphone, waited a few days and indeed the icloud messages storage has dropped from 20G to 10G. But 10G still doesn't seem right for a handful of messages. I can't find a way via icloud to look at what is stored there. I can see individual photos, but not messages. Is there a way to see individual messages in icloud?

Apr 23, 2022 7:52 AM in response to muguy

Oh! Thanks. Maybe I ask you a follow up? I have an old ipad I haven't used in years but never wiped. Could messages on that be contributing? I read where you have to delete from both the iphone and the mac to get rid of them and I did that on what I use daily but never thought to dig out old devices.

icloud storage show 20G of messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.