Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos library has doubled in size

Hi,

I've recently copied my photo library, (88.66GB), from my iMac (Mojave), to my new M1 MacBook Air (Monterey) and all was fine.

I'm not using iCloud Photo Library by the way, but today I've noticed that the library file size has doubled in size to 172.13GB.

I've had a random check for duplicates but can't see any, so what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Bill

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 7:54 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 24, 2022 11:08 AM in response to Yajeb

The size for the original library shown on your Mojave Mac may not be correct. The Finder is sometimes a bit lazy with updating the size of a library shown in the Finder. Copying the library to another volume may force an update of the size shown in the Finder. The problem is, that a Photos Library is a bundled package of internal folders and database files, and we are only seeing the package in the Finder.

Look at the "Date Modified" for the Photos Library on your Mojave Mac. Is this date a recent date or rather old?

Apr 24, 2022 11:29 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for the reply.

The Date Modified on the iMac is 22 April 2022.

Since my original post I've looked at the Package Contents and found that the Originals folder size is 83.25GB, however the Resources folder size is 88.44GB. Working down through that shows the resources/cpl/cloudsync.noindex/storage/filecache folder size as 83.25GB, identical to the Originals folder. The older Mojave Mac has different Package Contents folder structure.

That would seem to explain the double size, but how do I fix that?

photos library has doubled in size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.