Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firefox is default browser in System Prefs BUT Safari opens all saved urls, default grayed out in file Info (Cmd-I).

How do I change the default browser from Safari to Firefox (WAIT there's more!!!) When I open the file info, the Open With is set to Safari but is grayed out. I cannot change it. I asked this questions in January but had no joy.

YES i am the administrator, I have some skills with a Mac over the last 40 years of using them, and I've looked everywhere for a solution to this.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 12:25 PM

Jay Gamel wrote:

How do I change the default browser from Safari to Firefox (WAIT there's more!!!) When I open the file info, the Open With is set to Safari but is grayed out. I cannot change it. I asked this questions in January but had no joy.

YES i am the administrator, I have some skills with a Mac over the last 40 years of using them, and I've looked everywhere for a solution to this.

Safari is baked in to the macOS, you can leave it to Set to Safari as default—why fight it.

Put it in full screen mode and get it out of your way.

Use Mission Control on your Mac - Apple Support

See open windows and spaces in Mission Control on Mac

You can still use your Firefox as your main working browser.

Change the default web browser or email app on your Mac

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2022 12:25 PM in response to Jay Gamel

Jay Gamel wrote:

Safari is baked in to the macOS, you can leave it to Set to Safari as default—why fight it.

Put it in full screen mode and get it out of your way.

Use Mission Control on your Mac - Apple Support

See open windows and spaces in Mission Control on Mac

You can still use your Firefox as your main working browser.

Change the default web browser or email app on your Mac

Apr 24, 2022 1:53 PM in response to dialabrain

That's another odd thing about it. Just visiting some sites gets them added in Safari's preferences, though they're all automatically set to Deny.

Looking again just now, I at least see how they get added. It's the default of the check box at the bottom to allow sites that request notifications to get added.

Since I never want any web site to notify me of anything, the now obvious solution is to simply turn that check box off.

Edit: Oh! And then delete the entries that are already there.

Apr 24, 2022 1:28 PM in response to dialabrain

Good catch! One of those things Apple does that seems simple - when you know it. Otherwise it's as unintuitive as possible.

Another like that I just discovered today. I was trying to figure out how to remove unwanted/unknown entries in the System Preferences under Notifications & Focus. You can turn them off, but not delete them. How do you do it? By illogically going to Safari and removing those names in its preferences by clicking on the Website tab, Notifications in the left column, and then finally deleting them in the right hand pane. They then disappear in the System Preferences.

Firefox is default browser in System Prefs BUT Safari opens all saved urls, default grayed out in file Info (Cmd-I).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.