Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after I upgraded to Catalina I can't change the default web browser, the options appear blank

I have a macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012, and after I upgraded the OS to Catalina I can't change the default web browser as the options appear blank.

The OS is up to date, and I wouldn't like to remove the other browser completely, I would like to keep it as a backup in case I have any problems loading some features in a page in Safari.

Anyone else had this problem?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 11:43 AM

That indicates that Safari is currently set as the default.

The only browsers that appear in the list in System Preferences > General are the ones currently installed. I don't know why yours is displaying a check mark. The only thing I can think to suggest is to uninstall whatever other browser you have, install either Chrome or Firefox from their website, set one of them as a default and see what happens.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2020 11:43 AM in response to brulduarte

That indicates that Safari is currently set as the default.

The only browsers that appear in the list in System Preferences > General are the ones currently installed. I don't know why yours is displaying a check mark. The only thing I can think to suggest is to uninstall whatever other browser you have, install either Chrome or Firefox from their website, set one of them as a default and see what happens.

after I upgraded to Catalina I can't change the default web browser, the options appear blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.