Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to import stills for Timelapse - Quicktime or FCPX?

Making the switch from FCP7 to X... long time coming I know!

When cutting on FCP7, I always did my timelapse imports through Quicktime ( > Open Image Sequence > set frame rate > Export) that I'd then import into FCP7. Worked great.

I have tried the suggested workflow for image files into FCPX ( > importing images > putting them all onto a timeline/project > Cmd+A and Ctrl+D to change duration to 1frame > Opt+G to create compound clip) but it seems rather long and I worry that the compound clips will cause problems later as they aren't "real" clips.

Does everyone else work this way? Would love to set a process in motion and stick to it going forward.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 2:24 AM

It will work either way, but if there is a lot of stills I am partial to using Quicktime. Many stills, especially if they are large, demand more resources to handle. Converting the image sequence in Quicktime Player makes it easier to work with.

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 25, 2022 4:10 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for that tip Luis.

I have just tested it and QT player appears to be much quicker and easier than importing into FCP X etc. although the 900 or so 5MB stills used in the above video had been done on my old, slow Mac mini and the QT test I did just now was on my 2017 iMac.

The 900+ stills now took under a couple of minutes to convert to video.

Apr 29, 2022 8:01 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks all for your workflows... I tried all three, Quicktime, FCPX and Compressor and here's what I found:

• Quicktime is the workflow I used on FCP7 and so it feels comfortable, but it is not the workflow I will use going forward.

• Final Cut is what most folks seem to use but there are drawbacks as it seems slower than QT.

• Compressor is by far the easiest for me and is what I will use going forward as I can batch the folders and apply a preset.

I found a lot of useful videos on all three options and Larry Jordan had a great one and so did Ripple Training on the Compressor options.

Thanks again everyone... much appreciated.

Cheers,

Susan.

Best way to import stills for Timelapse - Quicktime or FCPX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.