Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is MacBook Air not supported by Bluetooth?

I was trying to Airdrop photos from my phone to my laptop and was told to disconnect users in order to use Bluetooth. Then, when I tried to upload the photos using Bluetooth my iPhone gives the message that MacBook Air is not supported. Can anyone explain how to do that? It used to be easier before the recent macOS Update. Apple's jargon and instructions seem to assume a professional knowledge of computing.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 7:59 AM

You cannot pair 2 Apple computing devices using Bluetooth, and you don’t need to. AirDrop does not required that the devices be paired, only that both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi must be on, and the devices must be using the same Wi-Fi network. And, of course, that AirDrop is enabled on both devices. I frequently send photos from my iPhone to my MacBook, primarily for posting examples in this forum. See→How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and→ Mac Basics: AirDrop lets you send files from your Mac to nearby Macs and iOS devices.

However, by far the easiest way to copy photos between Macs and iOS devices is to use iCloud. There are other ways, also, described in this support article→Copying personal photos and videos from iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer

Note that you cannot use AirDrop if you are using the iPhone’s Personal Hotspot, as that feature co-opts the Wi-Fi features of your iPhone. You can still use iCloud.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2022 7:59 AM in response to Ewan Lamont

You cannot pair 2 Apple computing devices using Bluetooth, and you don’t need to. AirDrop does not required that the devices be paired, only that both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi must be on, and the devices must be using the same Wi-Fi network. And, of course, that AirDrop is enabled on both devices. I frequently send photos from my iPhone to my MacBook, primarily for posting examples in this forum. See→How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and→ Mac Basics: AirDrop lets you send files from your Mac to nearby Macs and iOS devices.

However, by far the easiest way to copy photos between Macs and iOS devices is to use iCloud. There are other ways, also, described in this support article→Copying personal photos and videos from iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer

Note that you cannot use AirDrop if you are using the iPhone’s Personal Hotspot, as that feature co-opts the Wi-Fi features of your iPhone. You can still use iCloud.

Why is MacBook Air not supported by Bluetooth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.