Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi Does Not Turn On and Unable to Add Wifi in Network Preference

I have a MacBook Air running macOS Monterey 12.3, the udpate which I just installed yesterday.

A few days prior to the update installation I began having issues with the Wifi (whereas previously it would automatically switch on and connect to my home network), I had to switch on my WiFi manually everytime I started the computer, and that too via the Network Preference screen, as it would not turn on by selecting 'Wifi On' switch on the top right hand side menu bar. I read that it could be due to not upgrading the software, so I installed the update via a BlueTooth Tether.

However since installing the update, my Wifi is now not showing all together. On the Top Right of the Menu Bar the Wifi Icon is with an exclemation mark. Clicking on the Wifi Icon, I am unable to use the switch to on the Wifi, there is absoluty no response (see screen shot)

Then through Network Preferences screen, WiFi is not showing, and further I am unable to add Wifi via the '+' button as it does not show a Wifi option (see two screen shots of NetWork Preferences)

I have also tried adding a Wifi via the Airport Utility found in the Applications>Utilities, but that too is unale to recognise Wifi (see screen shot)

Are there any solutions to this?

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 6:20 AM

Afraid to agree.

The Wifi Card should be present in System Report even if not functioning.

You could try and SMC Reset and perform this action three time consecutively ( Bong one, Bong Two, Bong 3 ) and then release the keyboard combinations.

Then check again in System Report if the card is present and listed.

Still not - the machine is 5 years old and sometimes hardware does fail.

Worst Case - Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Visit a Genius at an Apple Store for Evaluation or Repairs

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2022 6:20 AM in response to ro_spelde

Afraid to agree.

The Wifi Card should be present in System Report even if not functioning.

You could try and SMC Reset and perform this action three time consecutively ( Bong one, Bong Two, Bong 3 ) and then release the keyboard combinations.

Then check again in System Report if the card is present and listed.

Still not - the machine is 5 years old and sometimes hardware does fail.

Worst Case - Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Visit a Genius at an Apple Store for Evaluation or Repairs

Apr 26, 2022 7:01 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for the suggestion... will try a SCM Reset...

According to the link, the SCM Reset involves holding down LEFT Shift/Control/Option keys and then holding down the power key (all 4 keys together) for 10 seconds.

Could you clarify what you mean by 3 times consecutively... ie. Bong 1, Bong 2, Bong 3...

My understanding of your suggestion is that while holding down LEFT Shift/Control/Option keys, I then press Power Button 3 times (ie. Bong 1, Bong 2, Bong 3...)? Am I right in this? If so how long should I hold down the Power Key (whilst also holding down LEFT Shift/Control/Option keys)?

Apr 27, 2022 6:00 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for the clarification. So I am not sure if I am doing it right, or not...

Step 1 Hold Down LEFT Shift/Control/Option + Power On for 10secs

After the 10-15 seconds, there was still a Blank/Black screen... the Mac did not boot as I envisaged (No Bong 1), which I was expecting to be the result, based on what you had described earlier ("You hear the first Sound ( Bong ) >> computer restarts, >> keep hold the keys, the computer restarts a second time Sound ( Bong two ) etc.")...was I right to assume that the Mac will boot up after 10secs?

According to the SCM Reset link you shared, it says 2 further Steps

Step 2 Release all buttons

Step 3 Press Power On (until Bong)

So based on this I am not sure how to get the 3 bongs, as I have to release the 4 buttons and thereafter press Power On to boot the Mac (to Bong 1)... whereas your advice was to "perform this action three time consecutively ( Bong one, Bong Two, Bong 3 ) and then release the keyboard combinations"... did happen as you described and seems to only be possible if you follow Steps 2 & 3 as well, and that too will need a Step 4 Shut Down in order to get Bong2 & Bongs3...

Am I doing something wrong?

Wifi Does Not Turn On and Unable to Add Wifi in Network Preference

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.