Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Texting with two lines (SIM and eSIM) - displayed current line is wrong

Good evening all,

I have an iPhone 13 with current iOS (15.4.1) that I’m using two lines (numbers) with. One is a Verizon SIM (“Business”) and the other is a T-Mobile eSIM (“Personal”). They worked flawlessly on an iPhone 12 mini and/or older version of iOS.

Lately I notice a very annoying, reproducible issue where the displayed conversation line currently in use is the opposite of what the phone actually will use to send a message.

For example, when I create a new message to a new recipient, it shows “From: Business” as shown below - which I could switch to “Personal” but for the sake of this example don’t. If I send the message from my “Business” line, the recipient will receive it from my other line (“Personal”).

If I go into the sent message thread and change the line to “Personal”, it will send future messages from the “Business” number. It is as if the two lines are inverted as for their labels, but when I check in the settings they are correct and the same they ever were.

This is very annoying, because not only do I confuse the recipient by sending them messages from an unknown number, I also now share my personal number with business contacts and vice versa involuntarily, something I desire not to do.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

iPhone 13

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 7:33 PM

Thank you for your response. However this doesn’t address my issue. I realize that for every contact I can set the behavior of which line should always be used, or allow the last one to be used whichever that might be. I realize I can do so after the fact as well. My issue is that the display of which line is chosen to be used is the opposite of which line the next message will be sent from. Your information is helpful to new users of dual SIM iOS phones but is known to me and doesn’t address the issue at hand. In fact I can follow your advice and the phone still uses the opposite line I chose for said contact going forward.

Thank you.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2022 7:33 PM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for your response. However this doesn’t address my issue. I realize that for every contact I can set the behavior of which line should always be used, or allow the last one to be used whichever that might be. I realize I can do so after the fact as well. My issue is that the display of which line is chosen to be used is the opposite of which line the next message will be sent from. Your information is helpful to new users of dual SIM iOS phones but is known to me and doesn’t address the issue at hand. In fact I can follow your advice and the phone still uses the opposite line I chose for said contact going forward.

Thank you.

Apr 25, 2022 7:53 PM in response to WolfNH

There is a difference between "Last Used" and "Always Use"

if you have selected a Line for a Contact, Say Line B as "Always Use"

and If that contact sends you a text using Line A then if you reply to that contact using the received message in the Message App as a continuation of the conversation then the Contact will be assigned as "Last Used"

Try to start aany business conversation from the Contacts App if you want to keep Business and Personal lines separate.

If you start the conversation from the old thread then you cannot change it. Start a new conversation from Contacts App. Here you can change the number as well as the Line. As shown in the GIF below

Texting with two lines (SIM and eSIM) - displayed current line is wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.