Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing OS 12.3.1 on MacBook Air (M1 2020)

When trying to restart to install new OS I get the message

"In order to continue installing, you need to be an owner."

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 10:14 PM

Hey TroutNZ!

I’ve come across this as well, fixed it by:

Open System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy.

Unlock the padlock on the bottom.

Scroll down to “Full Disk Access” and click the “+” on the bottom, navigate to Applications > Utilities > Terminal, to add Terminal to the setting.

Next open Terminal in Finder > Applications > Utilities.

Enter this text and press Return afterwards:

sudo softwareupdate -i -a -R

It you are prompted for your admin password, you can type it and press Return afterwards, just note that the text is invisible, but that is normal.

Once done, your Mac should restart and start the update successfully, hope that helps!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2022 10:14 PM in response to TroutNZ

Hey TroutNZ!

I’ve come across this as well, fixed it by:

Open System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy.

Unlock the padlock on the bottom.

Scroll down to “Full Disk Access” and click the “+” on the bottom, navigate to Applications > Utilities > Terminal, to add Terminal to the setting.

Next open Terminal in Finder > Applications > Utilities.

Enter this text and press Return afterwards:

sudo softwareupdate -i -a -R

It you are prompted for your admin password, you can type it and press Return afterwards, just note that the text is invisible, but that is normal.

Once done, your Mac should restart and start the update successfully, hope that helps!

Apr 26, 2022 2:00 PM in response to DiZoE

Hi DiZoE. In your entry that appeared on your post, there did not appear to be a space between the '-i' and the '-a' for the terminal instruction of 'sudo softwareupdate -i -a -R' , although as I look at the post above, the spacing is clear. Just putting this post in, in case others who have the same problem misread your helpful instructions.

CHeers

Garry

Installing OS 12.3.1 on MacBook Air (M1 2020)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.