Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t view heic files on my iPhone 13

Someone sent me two photos that are .heic via a text message. I have a new iPhone 13 but I can’t view them. Is there a trick to it?

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 1:46 AM

Discovered this discussion thread where a way was found to view heir files that wouldn't open in text.

How do I open HEIC photo on my iPhone 6s? - Apple Community

says:

" I had the HEIC photos re-sent to messenger on my phone instead of text.

Photos and videos then opened up automatically in messenger. Still can't open them in text ....weird!"

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2022 1:46 AM in response to dengmann

Discovered this discussion thread where a way was found to view heir files that wouldn't open in text.

How do I open HEIC photo on my iPhone 6s? - Apple Community

says:

" I had the HEIC photos re-sent to messenger on my phone instead of text.

Photos and videos then opened up automatically in messenger. Still can't open them in text ....weird!"

Apr 26, 2022 10:09 PM in response to dengmann

Hi dengmann,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Apple Support's article:

Use Messages to receive and share content with friends on iPhone – Apple Support (AU)

says:

You can see what your friends have shared with you in your Messages conversation,

or see it later in the corresponding apps:

• Photos: Tap For You, then scroll to the Shared with You section.

And

View photos and videos shared with you on iPhone – Apple Support (AU)

Also:

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

says:

Support for HEIF and HEVC is built into iOS 11 and later and macOS High Sierra and later, 

letting you view, edit, or duplicate this media in a variety of apps, including Photos, iMovie, and QuickTime Player.

All the best :-)

Apr 27, 2022 7:59 PM in response to dengmann

Thank you for replying, and letting me know.

Wondering if you have the most recent iOS update you can install on iPhone 6.

Seems the i Phone 6 can only update as far as iOS 12.5.5

About iOS 12 Updates - Apple Support

Seems with recent iOS updates (Eg: iOS15.4.1) the Photo attachments may be automatically available in the Photos app.

Eg: Photos app / Tap For You, / then scroll to the "Shared with You" section.

Surprised the only option you saw was delete, however am not familiar with "Messenger".

You might want to see if there is any way you can "Share" the attachments via the Mail app.

They may be automatically converted to .jpeg or .jpg, and you could view / copy / save / email yourself the file from there,

Apr 27, 2022 1:03 AM in response to brbo

Thank you for your reply. Regrettably neither of these solutions appear to work. When I tap on the files in the messenger app I don’t have the option of opening the files with any other app. The only option is to delete.

Similarly, if I launch the photos app there does not appear to be anyway to get those files into the app.

Can’t view heic files on my iPhone 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.