Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HEIC

Just got my new iphone 12. Why in the world does Apple continue with this ridiculous use of HEIC file for photos? Why Why WHY! Not compatible with the rest of the world. I swear Apple, I am so close to dumping you....

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 5:54 PM

FYI: These are user to user only forums. Apple has an extremely limited presence here . If you wish to leave a direct feedback to Apple then then please leave feedback here ➔ Product Feedback - Apple

If you would like your iPhone to save photos in standard Jpeg format then do the following-

Go To Settings Camera Formats and then Select Most Compatible

Axel F.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2020 5:54 PM in response to optixbil

FYI: These are user to user only forums. Apple has an extremely limited presence here . If you wish to leave a direct feedback to Apple then then please leave feedback here ➔ Product Feedback - Apple

If you would like your iPhone to save photos in standard Jpeg format then do the following-

Go To Settings Camera Formats and then Select Most Compatible

Axel F.

Oct 24, 2020 6:17 PM in response to optixbil

You should educate yourself before making ridiculous claims.

Easily found:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Image_File_Format

Scroll down to support section.

Operating systemsEdit

HardwareEdit

Oct 24, 2020 5:46 PM in response to optixbil

Because HEIC, a subset of HEIF, is a worldwide standard created by MPEG that is the next generation after JPEG because it supports higher resolution and better compression. An HEIC image is about half the size of the same resolution JPEG image. You will also find it on newer Android devices and other digital cameras. It’s a single standard that covers still photos, animation and videos. Here is more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Image_File_Format

Oct 24, 2020 5:51 PM in response to optixbil

If the file format for your photos is such a big deal that you threaten to dump Apple.. Why did you not research whether this had changed before buying a new iPhone then?

btw, you are not talking to Apple here, this is a user to user forum

After doing about 5 minutes of research, I have confirmed that I can hook my iPhone up to my work Windows laptop and all the pictures shown in Windows Explorer are shown as JPGs because it converts them for you.

HEIC file format is used because it can hold a better quality picture with less storage space.

Also looking at my iPhone settings and testing a picture and sending to my computer via airdrop I found that there IS a setting to do exactly what you are ranting about.

Settings > Camera > Formats > Most Compatible

Enjoy your new iPhone?

HEIC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.