Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internet connection

I am setting up a new Mac Studio. After using a time machine backup from prior Intel Mac, it does not connect to the internet by WiFi or Ethernet. Prior time machine back up was NOT Monterey, but Big Sur. The Mac Studio sees the internet on WiFi and direct ethernet (network preferences) in but Safari and App Store it doesn't see an internet connection! Other computers etc on same network have internet connections. I have restarted it without help. I tried to start in safe mode but it wouldn't start up there, only the usual startup screen. I held the power button on the back of the computer.

What do I do next?

Mac Studio

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 8:36 AM

6 replies

Apr 26, 2022 8:55 AM in response to Robert Rosenberg3

When starting in Safe Mode did you get the startup options window"

1. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.

Next did you do this:

1. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”

Next:

1. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 26, 2022 9:55 AM in response to Robert Rosenberg3

You first have to shut down the Studio. You then press and hold the Power button until you get the Startup Options screen. Yu have to hold the Power button depressed for a while.

If you are not getting the Startup Options screen you are not hold the Power button down. I have entered Startup Option mode on my Studio Max. I found it hard to press and hold the Power button because of the location of the Power button and for me,because of the location of my Studio.

Apr 26, 2022 9:26 AM in response to Robert Rosenberg3

In System Preferences->Network, what is the order of the services, and do they show with a green dot?

A green dot indicates a good connection to the internet.

If that is the case, and still Safari cannot connect, then you need to dig deeper into System Preferences->Network:

1) Click Advanced... and then click DNS. What do you see?

2) Still under Advanced, click Proxies. What do you see?

Apr 26, 2022 9:44 AM in response to Robert Rosenberg3

I can't get to the "startup" windows option, just the standard start up window. I tried to follow the instructions for Apple Silicone as you describe.

I tried holding the power button on the back of the machine and it didn't start in safe mode. I also tried holding the power button on the new keyboard - nothing happened.

In Network preferences I had the green dot for both the WiFi and ethernet.

I am away from the computer so don't know exactly what the advanced showed but it did have some information.

Thanks

Apr 27, 2022 7:19 AM in response to lllaass

Safe mode didn't work. It would not recognize a tethered devices internet connection. All recognized in Network preferences.

I finally started over and used a different Time machine back up and it works. I suspect that either using a Time machine backup from earlier OS and/or non silicon caused the problem. I was able to use a time machine backup from a different computer in Monterey OS, and Apple Silicon hardware and it went smoothly.

Thanks for your help.

internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.