Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Monterey M1 Mac mini stores iPhone & iPad backups, audiobooks and podcasts on the limited internal storage.

The Mac Mini has limited storage options, and using the high speed internal SSD for storage of iPhone and iPad backups, audiobooks and podcasts is ridiculous. My wife and I could easily use over 400GB of MobileSync space in the internal SSD and iCloud storages is not cost effective. Is there a way to store these things on external HDDs without symlinks that are unreliable? Music and Photos can easily designated other storage locations, why not the others?

Mac mini, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 7:18 AM

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

From that same link above - This implies the Backups can be relocated to External Storage

• Don't edit, relocate, rename, or extract content from your backup files. For example, to restore from a relocated backup file, you need to move the backup file back to where it was in the Backup folder or the file won't work. Backups serve as a safe copy of almost all of your device's data and settings. So while you might be able to view or access a backup file's contents, the contents usually aren't stored in a format that you can read.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2022 7:18 AM in response to conrad2k

From that same link above - This implies the Backups can be relocated to External Storage

• Don't edit, relocate, rename, or extract content from your backup files. For example, to restore from a relocated backup file, you need to move the backup file back to where it was in the Backup folder or the file won't work. Backups serve as a safe copy of almost all of your device's data and settings. So while you might be able to view or access a backup file's contents, the contents usually aren't stored in a format that you can read.

Apr 27, 2022 1:45 PM in response to conrad2k

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Apr 27, 2022 5:08 AM in response to conrad2k

Have you tried an external HDD attached via USB-A or thunderbolt/USB-C and access with Finder? I've never had a problem with that on any Mac we've ever owned. We've used HDDs and SSDs and depending on the transfers speeds you want both have worked extremely well.

Any file or folder you have on the internal drive can be placed on the external drive. just don't make the mistake of using your Time Machine backup drive. It needs to be dedicated to TM and nothing else.

Apr 27, 2022 7:49 AM in response to PRP_53

It’s easy enough to copy a 135GB iPhone backup to an external hard drive and the delete it from the user/Library/MobileSync/Backup folder, but that’s crazy to do every time you sync your iPhone, plus it’s a waste of time. Using an Symlink alias sort of works but it isn’t a complete solution, nor is it a solution that your average iPhone or iPad user should be fiddling with to handle an simple routine function.

Apr 27, 2022 8:00 AM in response to conrad2k

The Original Aspect of your question " Is there a way to store these things on external HDDs without symlinks that are unreliable? Music and Photos can easily designated other storage locations, why not the others? " to which a reliable and accurate reply was offered.

IMHO, there has been enough suggestions / advise offered for the User ( you ) to make an informed choice as to the next course of action that is needed to possibly fix this computer issue.

Apr 27, 2022 8:09 AM in response to PRP_53

Sorry to disagree, I don't think we have a solution. I was clearly asking for a way to "Easily designate other storage locations." It's hardly an easy solution to pending 15 minutes to copy a 135GB backup folder to an external HDD, after already spending the time to back it up to the internal SSD. Plus, when the contents of my iPad and iPhone grow, the internal SSD will not have the space to allow a backup at all.

MacOS Monterey M1 Mac mini stores iPhone & iPad backups, audiobooks and podcasts on the limited internal storage.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.