Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Message Failed To Send pdf to Android Users

Why do I get the error Message Failed To Send when trying to text a pdf to an Android user? I can text the same pdf to an iPhone user without issue. I have MMS Messaging turned on in my settings. I have tried resetting my network settings. I have powered down and restarted my iPhone 13 Pro Max. I have the latest iOS 15.4.1. I’ve seen where other people have this same issue, but have been unable to find a solution that corrects the issue. It’s very frustrating because I did not have this issue before upgrading to the iPhone 13 Pro Max. My service provider is Verizon, which I’ve had for years. I sought help at an Apple store and they were unable to help, but said they had the same problem with their phone. Your help with a solution is appreciated!

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 1:50 PM

Thanks for the quick response! I’m shocked at the answer however. I can’t believe Apple does not let you send files via text messaging to Android users. Text messaging is one of the primary ways people communicate. Having to use a separate app is extremely inconvenient to the user. Do you know why Apple made the decision to limit this capability to Apple devices only? I thought this capability previously existed so this is a reduction in functionality.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2022 1:50 PM in response to Iafeef

Thanks for the quick response! I’m shocked at the answer however. I can’t believe Apple does not let you send files via text messaging to Android users. Text messaging is one of the primary ways people communicate. Having to use a separate app is extremely inconvenient to the user. Do you know why Apple made the decision to limit this capability to Apple devices only? I thought this capability previously existed so this is a reduction in functionality.

Apr 27, 2022 2:04 PM in response to tawny101

tawny101 wrote:

Do you know why Apple made the decision to limit this capability to Apple devices only? I thought this capability previously existed so this is a reduction in functionality.

No one here in this user-to-user forum would know why Apple made a particular choice. And no, it has never been something you could do between and iPhone and an Android phone using the built-in Messages app.

You can let Apple know that it's something you'd like to see here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Apr 27, 2022 1:14 PM in response to tawny101

Hey there,

You can't send files to Android devices through the iMessage application. You can only send files from your iPhone to iPhone device through the iMessage application. However, I can suggest two ways in which you can send files to your Android device:

1. USING CHAT APPS

Most popular instant messaging apps that work on all platforms support file sharing. You can use them to transfer PDF from iPhone to Android. Some of the chats apps that can be used are WhatsApp, Telegram, Slack, etc.

2. USE CLOUD STORAGE SERVICES

Cloud storage services like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc., can also come handy to send PDF to Android from your iPhone. You need to upload your PDF to the cloud service and then share a link with the Android user. Alternatively, if you share personal devices, you can log in to your account on the same service on your Android phone. Your PDF will magically appear. You can either use it directly or download it on your phone.

Here’s how to do the entire procedure via Google Drive.

Step 1: Launch Google Drive on your iPhone.

Step 2: Tap on the add (+) icon at the bottom. Select Upload followed by Browse. 

Step 3: Go to the folder containing your PDF and tap it to upload it to Google Drive.

Step 4: Once added to Google Drive, tap on the three-dot icon next to the PDF file in Drive and select Copy Link. Paste and send the link to the Android user. 

Apr 27, 2022 2:44 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks, this was very helpful. I know this is a user-to-user forum, but sometimes the users are extremely knowledgeable (like yourself). Thought there may be a technical, security or marketing reason behind this limitation, but was hoping it was just a correctable defect. I’ll use the product feedback link you attached and hope for the best! Thanks again!

Text Message Failed To Send pdf to Android Users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.