Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not being able to send messages to non-Apple users via Messages app on Mac

Hi,

When I'm trying to send a message from my MacBook to someone not using an apple device, my messages fail to send. Both my iPhone and my Mac are up to date and connected to same wi-fi network if that's relevant for the issue.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 2:53 AM

Both my iPhone and my Mac are up to date and connected to same wi-fi network if that's relevant for the issue.

It is relevant, but just one part of the numerous requirements. How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac describes how to set everything up.

3 replies

May 30, 2022 6:56 AM in response to josipart

I have that issue as well. However, I didn’t used to have this problem... I also had a different carrier then. After switching over from T-mobile where it was all going so smoothly from day one...sending, receiving, gettng calls and all that was no problem! Once I switched to Mint it seems it all fell apart... there is one other thing that did change during that time though- I used up every bit of my storage and since it was such important things I couldn’t clear it ... I actually was able to continue to take videos and pics , so I did- bad mistake.! It let me do so,,, at a cost.. everything on my 11 pro max started to go wonky and give me huge problems.., even simple stuff was unworkable and all screwy. I tried deleting or uninstalling unused apps ...even getting rid of my calculator. The problem is, I wasn’t sure which change was responsible for the mess. And on top of that, I thought the problem with my constantly frozen touch screen was also related... later finding out there is a fundamental issue with my particular iPhone model that causes the freeze. Anyway, I probably for got to mention, some of the major functioning issues were affecting my iPhone and iPad Pro! It didn’t make it easier to figure out what was happening like you might think it would through obvious connections...nope it just continued to grow as a real problem, until I was unable to make calls or anything most of the time....I since then cracked the iPhone because this persisting issue had me fumbling in a real life crisis and it flipped out of my hand just as I shut my car door!😱😩... so much for that recall I was n

gonna look up about having your touch screen fixed or replaced!..I had to go to a back up phone..an android!,,, 😩😩😩.. but my iPad was still in mostly working order... aside from a few little things. One being the fact that my msgs did not seem to be going through to everyone... only select contacts. The other unsent msgs were in fact addressed to android users. IAND it doesn’t seem to happen all of the time either! Only MOST of the times I send those people msgs do they not go through. , stating ...”not delivered”. I also began to notice that I could tell when my msg was not going to go to a person. The name I typed into the recipient/address bar would turn red ..although at times it would start out green just like my friends names who happen to own iPhones. I also pondered whether it might have to do with where I was sending the msg from...in other words, was it being sent as my iCloud email address or my carrier phone number. I have both set up to receive or make calls and texts. I wish seeing this issue discussed by multiple people on this platform was making me feel better or optimistic for a remedy... but everywhere I look , including right at my own devices just begins to get more and more mysterious and complex! I think it’s an issue that fits in a gray area where so many different things could potentially lead to it. Each person on here may even have a completely different situation. I thought of taking my devices to the apple store... something I chose not to do in this case, since so many of the images on them are of a very personal matter , that would only be completely embarrassing! And they are very important to a person close to men’s health I can’t simple delete these. I tried storing all this people images on a thumb drive.., which is not possible to do with out any room on your device to download another **** app.!...

I wish everyone well and a quick and easy fix?

Anything at all that someone has to offer as an idea to change any of this convoluted mess and turn it into a past hiccup...would be appreciated to the enth degree!

Sincerely,

Way in over my head

May 30, 2022 7:20 AM in response to josipart

sending SMS text messages using Messages on your Mac requires that these messages LITERALLY go through your iPhone.

To be successful, your iPhone must be set for SMS message forwarding:

Settings > messages > Text message forwarding = ON-- for the specific Mac you want to forward from

AND: your iPhone must working, be powered on, and within range of a cell tower.

Not being able to send messages to non-Apple users via Messages app on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.