Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor doesn’t transfer signal, but recharges instead (usb-c to usb-c) HP U28 4k

In short, bought HP U28 4k monitor with support for usb-c.

I managed to connect Macbook Pro with monitor via "usb-c - usb-c" cable once.

It did transfer signal and recharged.

When I came home and turn it back again, monitor says no signal detected (via "usb-c -usb-c"). So I connected it with "HDMI - usb-c" and it works until I go to display settings - then it starts stutter. (Obviously doesn’t recharge because of hdmi port)

So I would really prefer to have just one cable "usb-c to usb-c" for recharge and signal transfer.

I tried:

• shutting down mac
  • restarting mac
  • use different usb-c ports on mac
  • check the internet for advices (unsuccessful)
  • Look into monitor settings
  • plugging unplugging in many different orders

I firmly believe my settings on monitor is correct

It worked once! I’m sure of it. Just can’t replicate it.

Does anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks

Lukas

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 11:02 AM

Hi Theruyen, 

It seems others have had similar issues when using the same model monitor. Reviewing the HP support resource linked below suggests unplugging the monitor from the monitor's power supply may resolve the issue.

HP U28 4k HDR is not recognized when connected to a Macbook - HP Support Community - 7979382

You may want to reach out to HP support for additional assistance regarding their monitor.  

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2022 11:02 AM in response to Theruyen

Hi Theruyen, 

It seems others have had similar issues when using the same model monitor. Reviewing the HP support resource linked below suggests unplugging the monitor from the monitor's power supply may resolve the issue.

HP U28 4k HDR is not recognized when connected to a Macbook - HP Support Community - 7979382

You may want to reach out to HP support for additional assistance regarding their monitor.  

Cheers!

Apr 30, 2022 5:38 AM in response to Chris_C1

Thank you!

For others

SOLUTION

There are huge differences in usb-c - usb-c cables. I bought usb-c with usb 3.2 (2nd generation) and power delivery. It was pricey, but seems to work flawlessly. I used old power cable for iPads and they are outdated, thats why it didn’t work.

Also pulling out power cord of the monitor might help.

Monitor doesn’t transfer signal, but recharges instead (usb-c to usb-c) HP U28 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.