Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade issues with Monterey?

If I upgrade from MacOS Catalina to Monterey, will my photo Library work the same way?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 3:04 AM

If you have been using the Memories, it is now more limited. we can no longer edit videos directly in a Memory.

But Photos on Monterey does now allow to import photos directly from another rPhotos Library: Importing photos directly from another Photos Library into the currently open Library

And the controls to export still frames from videos have been moved: How to extract a still frame from a video in Photos 7 on macOS 12 Monterey https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250004312

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2022 3:04 AM in response to Marcia F

If you have been using the Memories, it is now more limited. we can no longer edit videos directly in a Memory.

But Photos on Monterey does now allow to import photos directly from another rPhotos Library: Importing photos directly from another Photos Library into the currently open Library

And the controls to export still frames from videos have been moved: How to extract a still frame from a video in Photos 7 on macOS 12 Monterey https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250004312

Apr 29, 2022 9:47 PM in response to Marcia F

You're welcome, Marcia. Good Luck for the upgrade. I like Photos 7 on Monterey much more than the Catalina version. particularly the new tools "Live Text" and "visual lookup" are very convenient when organising the library and adding titles and descriptions. macOS Monterey - New Features - Apple

Photos

Memories: Fresh new look

Memories has a fresh new look including new animation and transition styles, and multiple image collages for a cinematic feel.

Memories: Memory looks

Inspired by the art of cinematography, 12 Memory looks add mood by analyzing each photo and video and applying the right contrast and color adjustment to give them a consistent look — just as the colorists at film studios do.

Memories: Interactive interface

Click to pause, replay the last photo, skip to the next, or jump ahead, and the music keeps playing and the timing adjusts to keep the transitions on the beat.

Memories: Browse view

View all the photos and videos from your memory in one easy-to-navigate grid.

Memories: New memory types

New memory types include additional international holidays, child-focused memories, trends over time, and improved pet memories, including recognizing individual dogs and cats.

Memories: Watch next

Memories suggests related memories to watch next after your memory finishes playing.

Shared with You

Click Shared with You in the sidebar to view photos and videos that have been shared with you in Messages. Photos taken when you were present also appear in All Photos and in Days, Months, and Years views and can appear in your Featured Photos and Memories, including the Photos widget. Save a photo to your library or respond to the sender in Messages.

Richer Info pane

Copy and paste edits to the location and date taken and learn about objects in the photo that were detected by Visual Look Up.

Faster iCloud Photos library initial sync

When you upgrade to a new device, iCloud Photos syncs more quickly, so you can get to your photo library faster.

Import photos from another Photos library

Now you can import original photos, including edits, from a second Photos library.

People identification improvements

The People album has improved recognition for individuals.

People naming workflow

Correct naming mistakes more easily in the People album.

Suggest less often

Click Feature Less to let Photos know you prefer to see less of a specific date, place, holiday, or person across Featured Photos, in the Photos widget, in Memories, or highlighted in the Library tab.

Apr 29, 2022 6:51 PM in response to léonie

Thanks, Léonie. I don't bother much with Memories, but I do care a lot about keeping the hard work I've done editing my photos and making my Library searchable. And I'll also want to extract still frames for videos. (Partly because my iPhone XR often insists that I have taken a video when I intended to take a still shot.)

Upgrade issues with Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.