Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Slow down with 2K and 4K external monitors

I am using following Macbook Pro.

I am using this Macbook for the past few years with 1 Apple 2K Cinema Display, and 1 Samsung 4K Monitor. It used to work pretty well without any performance issues. For the past few months, the MacBook fails to work when connected with either of the monitors.

This is 100% a recent development, and based on my Google search, it seems a recent Apple macOS Software update issue. I read thru so many apple forums, StackExchange, and various other blogs, and tried resetting the PM/NVRAM, etc as well.

After so much research, I am very confident about following:

1. My monitors are perfectly fine, as they work well with other windows laptops without hanging and any display issues in my testings. The same monitors worked well with the exact same Macbook Pro a few months back.
  2. I was talking to Apple Sales/Support they suggested buying new M1 Max/Pro MacBooks to solve this issue, but reading on the forums, I realized that people with heavy graphics card MacBooks are facing similar problems too: My macbook Pro 16(2019) SLOWS DOWN when I… - Apple Community
  3. So this is clear, that I dont need a new macbook, or my monitors are broken.

My question to apple support is, do we have a timeline, when a macOS fix can be delivered to fix this external monitor issue?

Thanks

Abhinav

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 3:18 AM

I googled and tried every possible thing. The worst part is apple support suggests M1 Mac. But I am struggling with very usual monitors working for years, its a crazy macOS update that messed the system. I think it's very frustrating :(

Similar questions

5 replies

May 6, 2022 3:29 AM in response to abhinavguptas

I also received the same statement from Apple support. In my opinion, it's just unacceptable. How can it be that it's not possible to run a 4000 Euro laptop with an external display?

Thermal throttling doesn't seem to be the reason for this either. This slow down happens completely independent of how the MacBook's load is, it seems to be a GPU + external Monitor issue.

Macbook Pro Slow down with 2K and 4K external monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.