Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've had iTunes forever, purchase lots of music, set up many playlists with lots of meaning and memories, but now on my new iMac desktop and iPhone iTunes is no longer available (only "Music) and I can no longer access the music I already purchased!?

How do get access to my music and playlists again from all my new Apple devices WITHOUT paying additionally for a new subscription!? Fortunately I kept my old Mac desktop and can still access all my music & playlists there.

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 10:08 AM

Klaus,

To copy your library from the old computer to the new one, follow the steps in this tip by Forum Member turingtest2:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

If you copy the library intact, it will retain all the playlists and metadata from the old one.

19 replies

Aug 8, 2022 1:41 AM in response to turingtest2

There's always advice and coming from nice folks who what to help thank you a though sand times but what I don't get is why can't Apple build a phone that I can fit all my music on that doesn't require an arm and a leg to pay for? Like removable storage? I don't need my phone to tell me when to sleep, go to work, keep my friends and family away when I'm busy. I need my phone to hold my music library and photos without a monthly fee or having to use data every time I want to access my products I bought from them free and clear. if I become unemployed and have hard times I want to listen to my blues albums that I own without any fees to do so. its just so controlling of a way to do business, in fact its very low down the totem pole. businesses use to earn there many by making great helpful new products. I don't know hat this is.... Don't get me wrong there are many things they do well but when it comes down to it they could do the things that matter a whole lot better. it just gets me so down all the manipulation going on these days in business and more. Im deeply saddened by it and worry about your folks future because of it. no kids these no such thing as corporate love. They simple won't look out for you, only you can't do that.

Good Night Vietnam

Jul 28, 2022 6:50 AM in response to klausfromdowningtown

I just upgraded (??) from Mojave to Monterey and I also had problems with my iTunes music and playlists: they simply don't migrate automatically. I was finally able to get my music over but the playlists would not move. After several hours of searching the internet and even calling Apple support (3 different agents) no dice. All the solutions proposed here and elsewhere had us try to import the library.itl file from iTunes into Music. That did not work for me even though I still had the iTunes library.itl file available. I kept getting the following error message:

Then it hit me on Saturday: the playlists have to be first exported from iTunes. This means iTunes must still be available, hopefully on another machine or from a backup. But the way to do this is non-intuitive.

Here is the process for success:

1- Open the old iTunes that contains all your playlists.

2- In the left panel, select the first playlist in the list.

3- Once it is selected, click on File from the menu bar and select Library and then Export Playlist

4- Save the Exported playlist file

5- Open the Music app

6- Click on File from the menu bar and select Library and then Import Playlist

7- The playlist should appear in the left panel.

8- Repeat the above for each one of your playlists. I had 45 and it took me about 30 minutes for the whole operation.

9- When the last one is done, scream Eureka as loud as you can while cursing Apple for torturing music lovers like this.

It may be possible to batch export all playlists at once rather than one by one but I was not able to find a way to do this. But I'll trade 30 minutes to save me dozens of hours trying to recreate those playlists.

Amen!

Apr 29, 2022 12:04 PM in response to ed2345

I apprecIate the suggestion to manually copy the iTunes music file to my new computer but seems dark ages now that everything else is synched through the cloud. My old computer content was even transferred over WiFi by the set-up program, but not the music!! That would logically have been automatic too unless there is another motive by Apple!?

And what about my iPhone and iPad??

Jun 2, 2022 9:23 AM in response to klausfromdowningtown

The Music Library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occurred (-54). This message comes up in Music (which erased all of my original recorded music demos) I can't load or play my own copyrighted original music (that I own) in Music and no one has an answer that works to get rid of the above error. Worked fine with iTunes. This sentence is where I would've typed lots of expletives and yelling--just sayin'

Jul 28, 2022 8:14 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi tt2,

Thanks for the response. Because I tried so many different procedures over the past week I can't be certain but I'm pretty sure I used your suggestion and it did not work for me. Bottom line is calling Apple support and speaking with 3 different agents got me nowhere. If we need to be brain surgeons or rocket scientists to get this to work something is wrong.

Where is the "It Just Works" marketing mantra? BTW since migrating to Monterey, my machine (Macbook Pro) is very sluggish. Corporate Sales dep't hint: you need to get a new machine. NOT

I've had iTunes forever, purchase lots of music, set up many playlists with lots of meaning and memories, but now on my new iMac desktop and iPhone iTunes is no longer available (only "Music) and I can no longer access the music I already purchased!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.