Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new MacBook Pro Stuck on Setup

Setup is stuck on "Reticulating splines..". I left it overnight and no change. I did a hard reset on the laptop and I get the beginning of the desktop and then back to the same stuck on setup.

I tried to the following method as well, but same behaviour:

1. First of all, power off the machine.
  2. Once you have powered off the machine, plug the Mac into a power source.
  3. With that done, press and hold the Shift + Control + Option keys simultaneously.
  4. While you are holding these three keys, press and then release the power button of your Mac.
  5. Once done, you can now release the Shift + Control + Option keys.
  6. After that, you can power on your Mac again to see if the problem has resolved.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 10:40 AM

M1 Macs don't use the traditional startup keys and do not have an SMC Reset and PRAM Resets. Here is how you access the special startup modes for an M1 Mac:

Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

I suggest you try booting into Safe Mode to see if the Mac will finish booting to the Desktop. This will disable third party software from starting automatically when booting, plus it performs a file system check and deletes some temp & cache files which will cause the boot process to take a bit longer. Sometimes doing this & rebooting normally may fix things, otherwise you likely have some third party software that is interfering (anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party security software are the most likely culprits).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2022 10:40 AM in response to phule1970

M1 Macs don't use the traditional startup keys and do not have an SMC Reset and PRAM Resets. Here is how you access the special startup modes for an M1 Mac:

Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

I suggest you try booting into Safe Mode to see if the Mac will finish booting to the Desktop. This will disable third party software from starting automatically when booting, plus it performs a file system check and deletes some temp & cache files which will cause the boot process to take a bit longer. Sometimes doing this & rebooting normally may fix things, otherwise you likely have some third party software that is interfering (anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party security software are the most likely culprits).

Brand new MacBook Pro Stuck on Setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.