Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupted PDF file after export from Pages

Hello, I was working on a project and exported the project from a pages document to a pdf document. I closed out the pages document *did not save pages doc because I had just converted to pdf* went to open pdf and the file cannot be open or is corrupted.

SOS! It’s a project due tomorrow I’ve spent all week working on it. I’ve asked my professor for an ext but, definitely probably gonna get a zero. I’m trying to not lose my mind.

I have searched all forums here’s what I’ve done none have worked:

• tried to copy the pdf open it

• send to someone else with mac

• used multiple online pdf repairs

• Looked at time machine which doesn’t apply because I never saved the original document. It was just open on the desktop.

• tried to export as jpg from the file located on desktop does not give that option.

it does open on text only file which is a bunch of random things and I can’t even copy answers out of it.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 8:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 11:35 PM

For this occasion, you'll need to recreate the Pages document, and redo the conversion to .pdf.

While doing that, you should take advantage of Time Machine, and the built in Auto save in Pages.

All that is needed to start that autosave is to:

Open a new document from a Template.

IMMEDIATELY give that document a name, and a storage location, using the popup box asking for those two things. Then Save the document as it currently exists.

Once you've taken that step, the Mac will automatically save the current state of the document at short intervals, and if you have Time Machine running, will save backup versions at less frequent intervals.

Second:

When it's time to convert the document to a .pdf file, do it in two steps.

First, SAVE the document normally toget a 'standard format file,' then press command-P to open the Print Dialogue.

In the print dialogue, click on the PDF button at lower left, and choose Open PDF in Preview.

This converts a copy of the document to .pdf, and opens the .pdf document in Preview.

From there, you can save the pdf version to a .pdf file.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2022 11:35 PM in response to galgoez

For this occasion, you'll need to recreate the Pages document, and redo the conversion to .pdf.

While doing that, you should take advantage of Time Machine, and the built in Auto save in Pages.

All that is needed to start that autosave is to:

Open a new document from a Template.

IMMEDIATELY give that document a name, and a storage location, using the popup box asking for those two things. Then Save the document as it currently exists.

Once you've taken that step, the Mac will automatically save the current state of the document at short intervals, and if you have Time Machine running, will save backup versions at less frequent intervals.

Second:

When it's time to convert the document to a .pdf file, do it in two steps.

First, SAVE the document normally toget a 'standard format file,' then press command-P to open the Print Dialogue.

In the print dialogue, click on the PDF button at lower left, and choose Open PDF in Preview.

This converts a copy of the document to .pdf, and opens the .pdf document in Preview.

From there, you can save the pdf version to a .pdf file.

Regards,

Barry

May 1, 2022 8:18 AM in response to galgoez

If you were saving to Microsoft's OneDrive, it inherently encrypts documents saved there, and unless one is using the OneDrive application on the Mac to present unencrypted content to Mac applications, you may run into problems when the Apple applications don't know what to do with encrypted OneDrive content. That being said, I don't use OneDrive, and in years of using all manner of Pages versions, not once have I exported or saved a PDF that was corrupted.

When you are on a critical path delivery schedule, you cover your ___ by saving the source Pages document, so you can get it backed up on Time Machine, and have the ability to regenerate that PDF or Word document when the unspeakable happens. You don't change or update the operating system, install new software, or do anything that might impact your deliverable until it is past.

Corrupted PDF file after export from Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.