Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Z Position Default on New Shape

I'm working on an Motion 5 project in 3D. Whenever I draw a new shape with the bezier tool, the default Z value for the shape is always some large negative value. When I transform the Z-value to 0, the shape moves way out of position, and I have to manually scale and move it to get it back into the right position, which is a massive pain. How can I tell Motion to start drawing new shapes with a Z-value of 0? I know this is possible because I managed to do it once, but I can't figure out how/why it happened.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 1, 2022 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 8:39 AM

If you're drawing shapes into a 3D Group, the Z-value applied to the newly created shape is generally inherited from the Z-value of the parent (top most) group. The X/Y values of the newly drawn shape are interpolated differences between the X/Y of the parent group and the location on the canvas to which it is drawn.

HTH

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2022 8:39 AM in response to JoePro

If you're drawing shapes into a 3D Group, the Z-value applied to the newly created shape is generally inherited from the Z-value of the parent (top most) group. The X/Y values of the newly drawn shape are interpolated differences between the X/Y of the parent group and the location on the canvas to which it is drawn.

HTH

Z Position Default on New Shape

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.