Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

orange light on HomePod mini

Apple says the orange light is because of downloading updated HomePod mini software. Mine is plugged into a mac mini, so it should be getting plenty of power. When touched, the HomePod mini says it having problems connecting to the internet, but the mac mini, iPhone, and iPads are all connected to the same internet (wifi) successfully. If it is indeed downloading new software, it is taking HOURS...is that normal?

I've tried resetting; iPhone doesn't recognize the HomePod to allow reinstall, etc.

Posted on May 2, 2022 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2022 8:52 PM

No, it's not normal, and it's probably not installing anything. Disconnect and give the HomePod mini it's own power source and you can update it through the Home app on your Mac if it's not up-to-date: Update HomePod - Apple Support

Reset HomePod – Apple Support (AU)

7 replies

May 5, 2022 8:25 AM in response to ericfrombennett

From the related article

Orange flashing light

HomePod mini is updating software while connected to a Mac, or is plugged into a power adapter that didn’t come with HomePod mini and isn’t rated 20W (9V ⎓ 2.22A).

iMac mini isn't a thing, its an iMac or its a Mac mini. Either way neither are designed to support that load. Use the power supply that came with the HomePod mini.

tt2

May 4, 2022 4:26 PM in response to picas

Yep, that appears to be the case. I connected the HomePod mini to the power source that was supplied with my iPad mini and the HomePod booted up just fine. I then plugged it back into the iMac mini and had the same orange light - even switched USB-C ports. Looks like the HomePod mini and iMac mini are NOT compatible. Apple: What the F###? Now I need to go get a standalone USB-C power source. Disappointing.

picas: Thanks!

orange light on HomePod mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.