Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my 2012 Mac mini does not work with a monitor

When I plug in my 2012 Mac mini to a monitor using an HDMI cable nothing shows on the screen. I want to wipe the hard drive but cannot because I can not see anything. Used to work fine but I disconnected for about a year and when I hooked it back up; nothing. same monitor and cables I used before.

Posted on May 3, 2022 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2022 1:09 PM

Hi, Poorpop-that’s a shame! Maybe I can help you ? You’d have to reset the smc/pmu and zap the pram 4 times on startup… here’s how to do that : see link->

https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html… that should work, the other way would be to try to get into Safe ( single user) mode… this does a few basic tests in the background and loads the minimum Mac OS… you do that by holding down the “Shift” key on the keyboard on startup… you have to be patient as it takes longer to start up than the regular Mac OS… if you see “ safe mode” on your screen/monitor then you’re in… you should of course use a USB wired keyboard for thus, pretty much any one will work… oh, and when connecting/disconnecting HDMI anything, both source and monitor have to be off… anyways, give that stuff a go and see how you get on…

good luck

John B

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2022 1:09 PM in response to Poorpop

Hi, Poorpop-that’s a shame! Maybe I can help you ? You’d have to reset the smc/pmu and zap the pram 4 times on startup… here’s how to do that : see link->

https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html… that should work, the other way would be to try to get into Safe ( single user) mode… this does a few basic tests in the background and loads the minimum Mac OS… you do that by holding down the “Shift” key on the keyboard on startup… you have to be patient as it takes longer to start up than the regular Mac OS… if you see “ safe mode” on your screen/monitor then you’re in… you should of course use a USB wired keyboard for thus, pretty much any one will work… oh, and when connecting/disconnecting HDMI anything, both source and monitor have to be off… anyways, give that stuff a go and see how you get on…

good luck

John B

my 2012 Mac mini does not work with a monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.