Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ominous message in Google about MacOS access

I suspect my gmail has been hacked, with mail being blocked or deleted. When I checked into my Google Account I saw this:

1 app with access to your data

This app or site may have access to sensitive information. Learn about the risks

macOS

Has access to Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Contacts, Google Hangouts

-Read, compose, send, and permanently delete all your email from Gmail

-See, edit, share, and permanently delete all the calendars you can access using Google Calendar

-See, edit, download, and permanently delete your contacts

-View and send chat messages

This seems to be extreme access and should be illegal in my opinion.

There is a button to 'Remove access'. What happens if I click it?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 3, 2022 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 9:53 PM

I had the same problem, for the same reason: I accepted a pop-up and followed its advice. I don't know if Google itself created the pop-up but it wreaked havoc w/ my apple mail.

I could go through what fixed the problem, but not clearly and succinctly. Apple support walked me through it.

Apple support now seems to be for any aged Apple product, which I learned only by chance. There was no cost, someone answered almost immediately, did not transfer me to anyone else, walked me through the various possibilities (having viewing access to my screen), and rather quickly resolved the problem.

There was a quirk in the resolution: my default browser was Chrome and the consultant had me change to Safari. With that, I was able to take the last step (that I hadn't been able to do on my own) which was signing into Google.

I was elated since I spent hours online researching and testing out many unsuccessful "solutions".

Suggest that anyone w/ this problem--or any other Apple issue--call Apple now while their support is so excellent--and free.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2022 9:53 PM in response to Hopingfor90

I had the same problem, for the same reason: I accepted a pop-up and followed its advice. I don't know if Google itself created the pop-up but it wreaked havoc w/ my apple mail.

I could go through what fixed the problem, but not clearly and succinctly. Apple support walked me through it.

Apple support now seems to be for any aged Apple product, which I learned only by chance. There was no cost, someone answered almost immediately, did not transfer me to anyone else, walked me through the various possibilities (having viewing access to my screen), and rather quickly resolved the problem.

There was a quirk in the resolution: my default browser was Chrome and the consultant had me change to Safari. With that, I was able to take the last step (that I hadn't been able to do on my own) which was signing into Google.

I was elated since I spent hours online researching and testing out many unsuccessful "solutions".

Suggest that anyone w/ this problem--or any other Apple issue--call Apple now while their support is so excellent--and free.

May 5, 2022 4:18 PM in response to PRP_53

Wrote to Google and although I haven't heard from them directly that ominous access has now been removed. I suspect it is a backdoor route to hacking Gmail. I wish I had done a screen grab as opposed to just copying the information. The url given was apple.com/macos, and as I noted the access was ominous such as: Read, compose, send, and permanently delete all your email from Gmail, etc. Googling this I found many other people had the same thing happening, so even though it is a Google problem, hackers are using 'MacOS' as a way in so Apple might want to do something about it...

ominous message in Google about MacOS access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.