Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Account Recovery Contact Status Stuck at "Request Sent"

I have Family Sharing set up between my Apple account and my wife's Apple account. We both have iPhones, logged in to our respective accounts. After submitting each other as Account Recovery Contacts, the statuses show as "Request Sent", with "... has not accepted your request", and "...they cannot help you regain access...". However, each of us received the text message "You're added as my Account Recovery contact..". There was nothing about how to "accept". Since we have family sharing, the process is not supposed to require acceptance - it is supposed to be automatic. How do we get the process to show as "Accepted"?

Posted on May 5, 2022 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 9:49 AM

After an excellent troubleshooting session with a very helpful Apple support person, this problem has been diagnosed. It involves three significant failures in the interface Apple presents to the users. Here's the demonstration:

On an iPhone, go to Settings/Your_Name/Password & Security/Account Recovery/Add Recovery Contact.

If you have any other persons in your Apple Family, there will be a pre-placed entry for them. Select one, and "Add Recovery Contact".

You will see a panel for sending an invitation, with suggested text. Click to send.

The other person will receive a text message with two parts: One blue background area with the text "You're added as my Account Recovery contact. Apple." Underneath that is the text that was suggested (or edited by you), starting with "I'd like to add you as my recovery contact. If you accept, you'll be able...". Here's a screen shot:

First problem: Top part says they already have been added, but bottom part implies they need to accept.

Second problem: In fact, they do need to accept, despite the fact that all documentation by Apple says that family IDs are automatically added, with no need to "accept".

Third problem: There is absolutely no clue about how to "Accept". The answer (which we finally stumbled upon) is to click anywhere in the blue background image. That results in a window with an "Accept" button. How would anyone know to do this!

Note that the first and third problems also apply if the request is sent to a non-family user.

A collateral problem is that while the second user sees "You're added as my Account Recovery contact...", the original user sees the status as "Request sent", and "User_Name has not accepted your request...".

Confusion and frustration ensues...

Apple, please clean up this mess!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2022 9:49 AM in response to Bill_Halberstadt

After an excellent troubleshooting session with a very helpful Apple support person, this problem has been diagnosed. It involves three significant failures in the interface Apple presents to the users. Here's the demonstration:

On an iPhone, go to Settings/Your_Name/Password & Security/Account Recovery/Add Recovery Contact.

If you have any other persons in your Apple Family, there will be a pre-placed entry for them. Select one, and "Add Recovery Contact".

You will see a panel for sending an invitation, with suggested text. Click to send.

The other person will receive a text message with two parts: One blue background area with the text "You're added as my Account Recovery contact. Apple." Underneath that is the text that was suggested (or edited by you), starting with "I'd like to add you as my recovery contact. If you accept, you'll be able...". Here's a screen shot:

First problem: Top part says they already have been added, but bottom part implies they need to accept.

Second problem: In fact, they do need to accept, despite the fact that all documentation by Apple says that family IDs are automatically added, with no need to "accept".

Third problem: There is absolutely no clue about how to "Accept". The answer (which we finally stumbled upon) is to click anywhere in the blue background image. That results in a window with an "Accept" button. How would anyone know to do this!

Note that the first and third problems also apply if the request is sent to a non-family user.

A collateral problem is that while the second user sees "You're added as my Account Recovery contact...", the original user sees the status as "Request sent", and "User_Name has not accepted your request...".

Confusion and frustration ensues...

Apple, please clean up this mess!

May 6, 2022 9:55 AM in response to Bill_Halberstadt

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner. Pick the closest topic you can find.

Click here to send Feedback   -

May 5, 2022 5:08 PM in response to Bill_Halberstadt

Contact Apple ID Support for assistance.  See the Apple Support articles below for contact information.  

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.   -

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.  *   (Link doesn’t always load)  

Get Support      -    Work through the screens to get a chat option. You may have to pick a slightly different problem.

Apple Support schedule phone call.   -

Apple on Twitter        

From the Apple Support article below. 

Without proof of your identity via security questions and other carefully selected criteria, Apple Support can't help you reset a password or perform any other actions on your account. These policies are audited and reviewed on a regular basis.

Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support.      *

Account Recovery Contact Status Stuck at "Request Sent"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.