Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have encountered a most peculiar anomaly and am reaching out to other i-phone 13 Po Max users.

I have a new i-phone 13 Pro Max . I started using it the first week in April. I believe thatmy problem started with the IOS software download 15.4.1 My i-phone began to experience intermittent "dancing" app icons. I am afraid that it will result in all of my icons being deleted! My old i-phone XR never had this problem.

This weird problem cannot be duplicated on demand...it occurs intermittently! Sometimes when I set it down, sometimes while holding it. I do not touch the screen or use any normal means to cause this phenom.

I began contacting Apple Support on April 13 and they even replaced my phone which I set up on April 22nd. Within a day with this brand new i-phone 13 Pro Max the problem was back. Apple Support says no one else has reported this problem. I have found someone locally experiencing the same phenom but as she works constantly did not have the time to contact Apple (as this results in a long process). Apple has done a diagnostic on both of my pro max 13s and tried everything they could but nothing has helped.

I could live with this ,but why should I since the phone is still under warranty.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on May 6, 2022 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 11:52 AM

OK here is what I would do, It overrides any settings or apps that may be confusing it and will be irrefutable proof of a faulty phone, or not.

First, for routine reasons, try a Forced restart

Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK)

If you can still reproduce the oroblem then backup, restore to factory, set up as new without restoring any backup and test.

Then restore from backup and test again. You will need some hours.

Those steps here

(1) How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

(3) Turn on and set up iPhone – Apple Support (UK)

set up manually with your Apple ID but no restore from backup.

Try to reproduce the problem .

If it does then the phone is faulty.

If it seems to be cured then

(4) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

(5) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

If the problem comes back then it is a rogue setting.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2022 11:52 AM in response to Beausie12

OK here is what I would do, It overrides any settings or apps that may be confusing it and will be irrefutable proof of a faulty phone, or not.

First, for routine reasons, try a Forced restart

Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK)

If you can still reproduce the oroblem then backup, restore to factory, set up as new without restoring any backup and test.

Then restore from backup and test again. You will need some hours.

Those steps here

(1) How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

(3) Turn on and set up iPhone – Apple Support (UK)

set up manually with your Apple ID but no restore from backup.

Try to reproduce the problem .

If it does then the phone is faulty.

If it seems to be cured then

(4) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

(5) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

If the problem comes back then it is a rogue setting.

May 6, 2022 11:07 AM in response to Beausie12

If you can get all the app icons to "jiggle" with - marks on the home page without touching the screen at all, and with both the auto wake settings turned off, and reproducible in the interval since I last posted, then take it back again.

In The UK, retailers only have one chance of fixing a problem then we can ask for a complete refund. Your local laws may differ.

May 6, 2022 5:45 AM in response to Beausie12

Usually a stray finger or thumb on the screen even though you say there was no touch.

(Or a faulty screen but that had been eliminated by the replacement phone.)

You can try to reduce screen sensitivity in settings, Accessibility, Touch, Touch accommodations, and increase hold duration.

Accessibility, Touch, turn off Tap to wake

Settings, Display & Brightness turn off raise to wake .

Then see how it goes

May 6, 2022 9:36 AM in response to LD150

I have been very careful not to touch the screen or the back when handling my phone. I grasp it from the sides to prevent any stray pressure on the screen thereby avoiding an overly sensitive screen thinking I want to delete or move an app icon.

I will adjust my Settings to reflect your suggestions and see what happens...if it cures the problem. Will get back to you.

Thank you!

May 6, 2022 11:25 AM in response to LD150

This has been such a frustrating situation. I bought the phone from Verizon mid March. When I contacted Verizon in early April explaining the problem and asking for a replacement phone (as mine was still under a 30 day warranty) they told me to go Apple as they would not exchange it. I first contacted Apple on April 13th and after several attempts by their support people to get to the bottom of things, a support person agreed to do an exchange. I received and set up the new phone on April 22nd (with the guidance of that support person) and on April 23rd reported back to them that the problem was once again there! Had never had such a problem or any problem in my years of using Apple.

It is very peculiar that this problem was noticed after I downloaded the IOS 15.4.1 update. I was told by Apple Support that IOS 15.4.1 became available on March 31st. So time wise it syncs with the start of my problem.

May 6, 2022 1:51 PM in response to Beausie12

Beausie12 wrote:

This has been such a frustrating situation. I bought the phone from Verizon mid March. When I contacted Verizon in early April explaining the problem and asking for a replacement phone (as mine was still under a 30 day warranty) they told me to go Apple as they would not exchange it.

Last I checked, Verizon's return period, like Apple's, is only 14 days. The warranty period is one year. During that year, you can get the phone exchanged under warranty either by Apple or Verizon. However, you're better off going through Apple.

May 6, 2022 2:19 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you. I did go thru Apple (as Verizon told me to contact them ) and after many phone and online exercises/tests with my phone and Apple tech support, they agreed to sending me a new Pro Max 13 which arrived on April 19h approx.

Within a day of setting it up, (on April 22nd) the same problem began to occur.

I am trying to find out if anyone with a Pro Max 13 is/or has had this same problem. I believe there may be a connection between the die load of the last IOS 15.4.1 software (which was published on 3/30 or thereabouts) and the Pro Max 13.

I have encountered a most peculiar anomaly and am reaching out to other i-phone 13 Po Max users.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.