Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water in Speakers

A bit of water got into my macbook's speaker through the air intake vents (mid-2020 4 port MacBook pro which has built-in fans). The speaker sounded extremely awful (the base of music made it seem like it was an old, broken speaker, or even worse than that), and after I blew hot air into the vents, it sounds good now. But do I have to worry about what happened to it? I mean, will it cause any further damages? And, WHY did it sound the way it sounded? Is it because of any electrical malfunctions or what? Do I have to take it to repair?

Thank you in advance if you can help me out.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 6, 2022 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 8:35 AM

Hello ~ I would take it in to be checked. The water may have cleared from the speaker but is still inside your Mac ….somewhere and that can cause further issues.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options

~Katana-San~

5 replies

May 7, 2022 3:27 PM in response to Samyojan

Samyojan wrote:

I mean, will it cause any further damages?
And, WHY did it sound the way it sounded?

Liquids and electronics do not mix.

Typical liquid damage gets worse over time not better...

If it works fine maybe you dodged a bullet(?)

or

you can wait and see if furthers issues arise over time.

Take it to Apple; if there is liquid damage Apple® will replace the entire logic board— a sizeable expense out of pocket.

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage.

AppleCare Products - Mac - Apple

May 6, 2022 8:33 AM in response to Samyojan

I doubt the water was limited to your speakers as water is a very "thin" liquid (low viscosity) and likely ran down into into a lot of things.

There are many "home remedies" out there, but at best they all just postpone the inevitable ... a trip to Apple.

You may not have a water incursions problem, but if you do the longer you wait to have it evaluated, the worse the corrosion will get. It's your call.

May 7, 2022 2:57 PM in response to t0ny272

Hello ~ If you check the OP’s date and time of post …24 hours have already passed. The correct thing to do in this case is take the MacBook in and have it checked by Apple or an authorized service provider. Water inside the unit will continue to do damage. They should back up the device and take it in to be checked out.

~Katana-San~

Water in Speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.