Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro giving "Macbook Pro not supported" in bluetooth pairing to iPhone 13 mini

In every version of IOS and Mac OS for the past seven years, I've paired my iPhones (iPhone 6 and XR) with my 2013 Macbook Pro and now my 2020 Macbook Pro and use the laptop to make and recieve phone calls as well as text messaging and whatever other features that functionality brings. My wife's 2015 Macbook Pro and iPhones 6 and XR had identical functionality.

I bought an iPhone 13 mini last week. It paired with my 2013 Macbook Pro, but gives the error code "Not Supported" with my 2020 Macbook Pro, even though it issues a pairing code... and briefly shows "Paired" but won't pair and gives the 'Pairing Unsuccessful "Macbook Pro is not supported." Nor can I make or receive calls with the laptop now.

I've tried rebooting both devices and done everything I can think of to sort this out, but I'm coming up blank.

There's an earlier post on this issue that the "solve" said "pairing isn't possible," which is nonsense as I've done it for years just as any other bluetooth device, unless something changed in Mac OS 12.3.1 or IOS 15.4.1 that would have lost that functionality?

Ideas anyone?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 8, 2022 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2022 10:21 AM

There's no need to pair your iPhone with your Macbook via Bluetooth to make and receive phone calls (using Facetime) and texts (using Messages) using your Macbook. This is the Continuity feature mentioned in the previous reply.

1. Ensure that your iPhone and Macbook Pro are logged into the same Apple ID.
  2. Ensure that your iPhone has a WiFi connection and is on the same network as your MacBook Pro.
  3. On your iPhone, Settings -> Messages, make sure that the "Text Message Forwarding" option is enabled so that you can also send and receive SMS Text messages (in addition to iMessages) from your MacBook Pro.
  4. In the Preferences of your Facetime app on your Macbook Pro, make sure that the "Calls from iPhone" option is enabled.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2022 10:21 AM in response to Laurie in iowa

There's no need to pair your iPhone with your Macbook via Bluetooth to make and receive phone calls (using Facetime) and texts (using Messages) using your Macbook. This is the Continuity feature mentioned in the previous reply.

1. Ensure that your iPhone and Macbook Pro are logged into the same Apple ID.
  2. Ensure that your iPhone has a WiFi connection and is on the same network as your MacBook Pro.
  3. On your iPhone, Settings -> Messages, make sure that the "Text Message Forwarding" option is enabled so that you can also send and receive SMS Text messages (in addition to iMessages) from your MacBook Pro.
  4. In the Preferences of your Facetime app on your Macbook Pro, make sure that the "Calls from iPhone" option is enabled.

May 8, 2022 10:09 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

If that is the case, then why is my iPhone 13 mini not connecting with "continuity?" And BTW, here's a screen shot of my iPhone Mini 13 paired with my 2013 Macbook Pro. The phone functionality works fine with that laptop. It is not working with the 2020 Macbook Pro. What I need here is some help figuring out the functionality, not folks chiming in that the functionality never existed. Obviously, the iPhone 13 mini is paired with the old Macbook under Big Sur 11.6.5.

I paired them using Bluetooth, and that's what appears to be giving the functionality on the laptop. If there's some different way to get the iPhone and the 2020 Macbook Pro to work with full phone functionality, that's fine. "Continuity" doesn't seem to be working to do it. I'd be delighted if someone could give me some help here.

Thanks, Roger

May 8, 2022 9:36 AM in response to Laurie in iowa

I just booted up the old 2013 Macbook Pro running OS Big Sur 11.6.5 and the iPhone 13 mini pairs just fine and has full functionality. BTW, just in case there's any doubt that this is a design feature and not a fluke, my 2020 Macbook Pro has the tool bar, and it is designed with full voice call functionality with buttons for answering and ending calls.

So, what's going on with Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1 that this functionality is missing???

Thanks!

Roger

May 8, 2022 10:36 AM in response to Laurie in iowa

MooreD10 gave you some excellent advice. To receive phone calls on your MacBook Pro:

• On your iPhone, open Settings App > Phone > Calls on other devices - make sure it is turned on and choose your MacBook Pro
  • On your MacBook Pro open Messages App > tap Messages at the top of the page, then Preferences, then iMessage and make sure your iPhone phone number and email address are checked
  • Do the same for FaceTime on your MacBook Pro

This is what Continuity is all about. Having your iPhone paired with your MacBook Pro won't do any of the above at all, so there is truly no reason to pair an iPhone with a MacBook Pro

Macbook Pro giving "Macbook Pro not supported" in bluetooth pairing to iPhone 13 mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.