Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to sync/backup my iPhone contacts to iCloud

I am trying to backup or sync my iPhone contact to iCloud so that I can download the contacts to my second iPhone which I just purchased. In my iPhone Settings I set contacts to "on" but don't get a message asking about "merge". Even if I turn the settings to off and on again still no message. In my desktop browser I go to icloud.com but I don't see any contacts being exported. I read in an earlier response to this problem that backup is different that sync and that backups are invisible. However, when I connect my new iPhone to my desktop I am not given the option to "restore" the contacts to the new iPhone (from icloud.com) which makes me think that the backup didn't work either. So, there are two questions: 1) How do I backup or sync from my iPhone to iCloud? 2) How do I export my iPhone contacts to my new iPhone?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 8, 2022 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2022 1:21 PM

Start here. There’s plenty to read, but the idea is to migrate your contacts from gmail to iCloud, destroy them on gmail, use them only on iCloud, and have all your devices use iCloud as the account housing your contacts. Once you do that, contacts will (as is currently true) not be on any backup, but will appear immediately refreshed on all your Apple devices (and in iCloud.com on the web).

Use Contacts on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Perhaps there’s a vCard method to create those contacts in gmail and import to iCloud.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2022 1:21 PM in response to tinku_111

Start here. There’s plenty to read, but the idea is to migrate your contacts from gmail to iCloud, destroy them on gmail, use them only on iCloud, and have all your devices use iCloud as the account housing your contacts. Once you do that, contacts will (as is currently true) not be on any backup, but will appear immediately refreshed on all your Apple devices (and in iCloud.com on the web).

Use Contacts on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Perhaps there’s a vCard method to create those contacts in gmail and import to iCloud.

May 9, 2022 10:41 AM in response to sberman

Sorry, but it didn't address the problem. In my iCloud Settings on my original iPhone I set contacts to "on" but don't get a message asking about "merge". Even if I turn the settings to off and on again still no message. In my desktop browser I go to icloud.com but I don't see any contacts being exported. Maybe no contacts were exported because I never received the message asking for 'merge' or cancel - don't know why i never receive this message when i choose to turn on contacts.

Unable to sync/backup my iPhone contacts to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.