Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Apple opting out of the iPad music production use case?

Apple has effectively killed the use case for the iPad (later Pro and Air 4+) as a tool in music production. Which was actually one of the industry strongholds for Apple.

With no 3.5 mm audio output, and a non-conforming USB-C as the single physical interface, there is no way to use the iPad in an audio production environment - unless you are prepared to lug a separate bulky audio interface, which fully defies the whole tablet idea and raison d'etre.

Apple seems to have the naive idea that BT wireless audio will work in place of the 3.5 mm jack, but it simply does not. For several reasons - one significant one being sound quality. Which leaves you with USB-C. But you can not charge and have audio out at the same time, re the USB-C port being non-conforming. Because simple USB standard compliance would be too easy for Apple's customers. And you need to be able to charge while you work.

It is rather paradoxial for Apple to design away the 3.5 mm output in the name of one-button-one-socket dogmatism and leave users with adaptors dangling from the side of their 1000 USD iPads to get any real work done.

Does Apple have any plans to again produce tablet hardware that actually support user needs in this case?

Posted on May 9, 2022 1:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 2:48 AM

You can certainly charge and simultaneously connect a downstream USB-C to 3.5mm adapter (with DAC) to a modern iPad - including those running the most recent versions of iPadOS (e.g., iPadOS 15.4.1).

For example, I use actively use a Kingston Nucleum USB-C hub with various USB accessories, including an Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter for analogue audio I/O:

Kingston Nucleum

https://www.kingston.com/unitedkingdom/en/memory-card-readers/nucleum-usb-type-c-hub

USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MU7E2ZM/A

The Nucleum USB-C Hub is small and easily portable - and features:

• 1x USB-C host pigtail (to connect to the iPad or other USB-C host computer)
  • 1x USB-C PD Passthrough power (up to 60W)
  • 1x USB-C
  • 2x USB 3.1 Type-A
  • 1x HDMI 4k (lacks HDCP support)
  • 1x SD Card Reader
  • 1x microSD Card Reader

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2022 2:48 AM in response to VoiceOfReason2

You can certainly charge and simultaneously connect a downstream USB-C to 3.5mm adapter (with DAC) to a modern iPad - including those running the most recent versions of iPadOS (e.g., iPadOS 15.4.1).

For example, I use actively use a Kingston Nucleum USB-C hub with various USB accessories, including an Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter for analogue audio I/O:

Kingston Nucleum

https://www.kingston.com/unitedkingdom/en/memory-card-readers/nucleum-usb-type-c-hub

USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MU7E2ZM/A

The Nucleum USB-C Hub is small and easily portable - and features:

• 1x USB-C host pigtail (to connect to the iPad or other USB-C host computer)
  • 1x USB-C PD Passthrough power (up to 60W)
  • 1x USB-C
  • 2x USB 3.1 Type-A
  • 1x HDMI 4k (lacks HDCP support)
  • 1x SD Card Reader
  • 1x microSD Card Reader

May 9, 2022 2:32 AM in response to VoiceOfReason2

You're not addressing Apple here, and we, just users like you, are not aware of Apple decisions/plans about their products.

I suggest that you submit your comments/requests to Apple support directly, using this link:--> Apple – Product Feedback, or contact them using this link:--> Get Support.

They might offer you a solution that I'm not aware of.

Thanks and regards

Giulio

May 9, 2022 2:22 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Thank you ProustGiulio.

It looks like the thing you would need, but it does not work. Apple made iOS changes some while back, and since then all 3rd party dongles that offer 3.5mm audio + charging have stopped working.

I have been through three different adaptors like the Belkin - they all advertised iOS compatability, but in reality they are not recognised by the iPad (in my case it is an Air 4) and neither charge nor have working audio.

Apart from that, my argument still stands that it is not a satisfying solution offered by Apple that you have to have dongles attached to your iPad to do mainstream tasks on it.

Cheers :)

Is Apple opting out of the iPad music production use case?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.