Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore from icloud backup

I had iCloud backup turned on, on my damaged iPhone 11 before turning it in to the apple store for a replacement. I believe I neglected to backup the phone recently though and I have already turned in my device to an apple store. Will I still be able to retrieve all of my data and photos?

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on May 9, 2022 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 7:48 AM

You may not have backed up your iPhone manually but if, as you say, you had iCloud backup turned on then at some stage in the recent past it would have backed up automatically.

The conditions for this are explained in How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iCloud:

Follow these steps to set up iCloud Backup to automatically back up your device each day:

1. Make sure iCloud Backup has been turned on in Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup.
  2. Connect your device to a power source.
  3. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
  4. Make sure your device’s screen is locked.
  5. If you get an alert says that you don’t have enough iCloud storage space to complete the backup, follow the onscreen steps to buy more storage

When you set up your replacement iPhone and restore your data from the iCloud backup it will draw down the latest backup and you can continue from that point.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2022 7:48 AM in response to simba2385

You may not have backed up your iPhone manually but if, as you say, you had iCloud backup turned on then at some stage in the recent past it would have backed up automatically.

The conditions for this are explained in How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iCloud:

Follow these steps to set up iCloud Backup to automatically back up your device each day:

1. Make sure iCloud Backup has been turned on in Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup.
  2. Connect your device to a power source.
  3. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
  4. Make sure your device’s screen is locked.
  5. If you get an alert says that you don’t have enough iCloud storage space to complete the backup, follow the onscreen steps to buy more storage

When you set up your replacement iPhone and restore your data from the iCloud backup it will draw down the latest backup and you can continue from that point.

restore from icloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.