Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wavy lines with apple pencil on iPad (7th Gen)

Hi,

I know this problem has been reported before but there seems to be no easy fix.

When I draw with my apple pencil (1st gen) on my iPad, lines that should be just curvy or straight, apear really wavy and jittery. But only on diagonal strokes, not on vertical or horizontal.

Here:

Not even Apple Support new about this issue or how to repair it. Which is really annoying.

So I hoped the Apple community might know? :)

Thanks in advance,

Javier

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on May 9, 2022 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 11:35 PM

So the issue was due to misalignment of the screen against the screen panel. The iPad was second hand and most likely had the screen replaced. If not. These issues tend to be due to screen protectors very often too.

is it your case?

7 replies

May 10, 2022 9:08 AM in response to destiny241

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately no luck. The case is really light and I have no screen protector, and anyway removing it didn't change anything.

I don't have another iPad at hand, maybe I could try at the Apple Store.

When drawing with my hand it shows straight lines. And it happens in every app that uses Apple Pencil.

Thanks for your time,

J

May 10, 2022 8:45 AM in response to Turokboy

Welcome Javier,

According to your post, you have issues drawing straight diagonal lines with the Apple Pencil and iPad. We'll do our best to help out with this.

It sounds like this issue may be related to a case or screen protector. It could be that the case is too tight for the iPad model. If you remove these, does the issue persist?

Have you had a chance to try out steps in: If the screen isn't working on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If your screen is too sensitive or responds intermittently to touch

1. Restart your iPhone or iPad.
2. Make sure that your screen is clean and free of any debris or water.
3. Disconnect any Lightning or USB-C accessories. If your screen works after removing an accessory, try using a different outlet, cable, or charger.
4. Remove any cases or screen protectors.
If part of your screen doesn't respond, responds intermittently, or responds even when it's not touched, contact Apple Support.

If your screen is cracked or shattered

Contact Apple Support

Does the issue persist if you use the Apple Pencil with another iPad? Does it occur when you draw using your hand and no the Apple Pencil? Does it occur in a specific app? That would help us narrow down the issue further.

Hoping to hear back, take care.

May 10, 2022 9:15 AM in response to Turokboy

Hey Javier,

If the above didn’t lead to a resolution, go through the following steps:

• Make sure iPadOS is up to date: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

• Fully charge your Apple Pencil.

• Remove any case and screen protector from your iPad.

• Unpair, restart, then pair your Apple Pencil and iPad.

If the issues continue after this, reach out to Apple Support at the following link to look further into this with you:

Contact Apple Support

Regards.

May 10, 2022 11:42 AM in response to Turokboy

Hey Javier,

On the Apple Pencil, is the tip screwed on all the way? We ask because if it isn't screwed on tightly, it can cause erratic behavior when using the Apple Pencil with an iPad. We'd confirm this before you visit the Apple Store.

If the issues persists, despite all of the suggested steps; then it would be best to have the Apple Pencil inspected at a local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Apple Pencil, the original receipt (if you have it or get a copy from original place of purchase), and a photo ID with you to the store. Select your region and search nearby for locations: Find Locations

Hoping this gets it solved, cheers.

Wavy lines with apple pencil on iPad (7th Gen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.