Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when I restore from time machine are my apps restored as well?

If I make a backup of my MacBook Pro with Time Machine and then factory reset my MacBook, will I get my apps back when I restore from the Time Machine file?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 9, 2022 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 10:59 AM

DanoXRS wrote:

Thank you Luis. The reason for the backup and restore is that my MacBook has to go in for hardware repair. In this instance, I do want to restore everything.

Ok, then that is exactly what you need.

9 replies

May 9, 2022 10:48 AM in response to DanoXRS

DanoXRS wrote:

Illaass, thank you for the reply. More specifically, will the apps that I added since new (not the included apps) be restored.

leroydouglas, thanks but if you have nothing to add that is helpful, go troll elsewhere.

Would not be much of a backup application (Time Machine) if it did not restore your data/files/folders/music/documents/apps... (?) Apple would have to get into a different business, no?

How much more specifically—> yes previous app <— yes including "the apps that I added..." That by definition is what a backup is used for, to restore.

—Back up your Mac with Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

if you value your user data—

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

If you are setting up a new Mac:

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine,  is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

May 9, 2022 10:36 AM in response to DanoXRS

The direct answer to your question is yes.

BUT... do you really want to do that?

If you factory reset your mac, and then you migrate everything, you get back to where you started.

Since, presumably, you may be experiencing some issues that lead you to reset, you do NOT want to get back to the starting point.

If that is the case, you should migrate ONLY the user accounts - this brings back all your documents, photos, music, mail, everything, even your preferences.

Then you should install the third party applications from the App Store or the developers' sites.

when I restore from time machine are my apps restored as well?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.